Hillsdale GOP factions share seats at convention

Both Republican factions of Hillsdale County attended the Michigan Republican convention. Courtesy | Facebook

The dueling Republican factions of Hillsdale County shared seats at the Michigan Republican convention earlier this month after state Sen. Jonathan Lindsey, R-Coldwater, brokered a deal between the two sides.

When each group sent its own delegates to the March 2 convention in Grand Rapids, the state party gave credentials to members of the America First Hillsdale Republicans chaired by David Stone, who was absent. Lindsey told The Collegian the state party’s credentialing committee “preliminarily” selected the America First delegates as the official Hillsdale County representatives.

But Lindsey said he told the America First delegates they should share the 13 seats allotted for Hillsdale County with the other faction, headed by Brent Leininger, who was absent. Three America First members gave up their seats to the three members of Leininger’s faction, Lindsey told The Collegian. He said the body voted to recognize delegates from both factions.

“This is classic convention politicking, where the people who are there can work things out,” said former state Rep. Eric Leutheuser, who attended the convention on behalf of Leininger’s group.

Leutheuser and Lindsey told The Collegian the deal could be a step toward resolving the conflict that has split Hillsdale County Republicans since August 2022.

“I think it was a step forward,” Lindsey said. “It allowed the two groups an opportunity to have this conversation of, ‘Are there things that we can do that set a more positive environment going forward in Hillsdale County politics?’”

Lindsey said representatives from Leininger’s faction, including former Michigan GOP chair Susy Avery, agreed to advocate for the county clerk’s office to run a “fair election” of precinct delegates this year.

In the past, members of the America First faction accused the clerk’s office of excluding candidates from the precinct delegate ballots, according to The Collegian.

Abe Dane, Hillsdale County’s chief deputy clerk, said both he and Clerk Marney Kast are officers of Leininger’s group which he identified as the “Hillsdale County Republican Executive Committee.”

Dane declined to comment on the deal because he had “no firsthand knowledge,” he said. He also denied any wrongdoing by the clerk’s office in past elections.

“I vehemently oppose any accusations that this office participated in unethical or illegal activities,” Dane said. “That is simply false in every respect.”

The handshake deal also included a “fair distribution of delegate seats across the county,” according to Lindsey, who said he expected more controversy at the convention.

“It was all set up to be a potential knockdown, drag-out fight on the floor of the convention in front of the whole district,” Lindsey said.

Stone said he was also absent. 

“I haven’t talked to the other side so I can’t speak for them,” Stone said.

Both the Republican National Committee and Trump have endorsed Pete Hoekstra, as chairman of the Michigan Republican Party, after the state committee voted him in on Jan. 6.

The Republican National Committee’s appointment of Pete Hoekstra, a former congressman and ambassador to the Netherlands, as new state party chairman could affect the leadership of the Hillsdale County Republican Party. 

The Hillsdale GOP has been split into two groups since August 2022, when an “America First” faction blocked more than 61 Republican members from the county party’s convention.

Still, both factions held conventions on Feb. 15 and sent a slate of delegates to send to the state convention. 

Hoekstra told The Collegian at the end of January he would choose between the two factions in three weeks, but has not yet recognized either.