The Stanley cup craze: it’s not just about hydration anymore

Across the nation, teenage girls and their mothers are braving the night in Target parking lots, as if the fate of their hydration depends on the store’s opening.

Their mission? To secure an object much more unassuming than the latest iPhone or gaming console. They’re after a water bottle most popularly known as a Stanley cup, and before you think of ice rinks and hockey sticks, let’s be clear: We’re talking about the latest craze in hydration, not sports.

This phenomenon, however, is not just about the allure of possessing this popular item; it’s arguably a reflection of our consumerist, trend-driven society. In other words, the transformation of the Stanley cup from a durable camping thermos to a fashionable drinking accessory is both remarkable and indicative of modern susceptibility to cultural fads. 

The Stanley cup obsession reflects the impact trends have on behaviors and desires, revealing that even the most unassuming products can become symbols of social status and identity.

“Despite the fact that the Stanley craze is functionally the same as the other water bottle trends of the past, I am very happy to have one and to be a follower of the trend,” sophomore Elena Hedrick said.

The verdict from connoisseurs is unanimous: The Stanley cup has secured its spot in the lineup of female must-haves next to Ugg boots and pumpkin spice lattes. With grandmothers gifting them to their friends and viral videos showing their resilience in car fires, these cups have become a status symbol among women aged 9 to 79. 

“Stanleys are modern, classy, and refined,”  junior Hannah Arends said. “They appeal not only to young people, but also to people like my grandma, who is a Stanley owner as well.” 

Hedrick said the appeal to Stanley cups is as much about aesthetics as it is about functionality. 

“I think what makes it so popular is the same as what made the others popular: It’s functional, cute, and has lots of color options for a variety of vibes,” Hedrick said. 

Hedrick said her mom gave her a Stanley cup for Christmas two years ago. 

“I love that it has the feel of a cup but the functionality of a water bottle. A big plus for me is that it fits in my car’s cup holder,” Hedrick said.

“I think Stanleys are so popular because they have proven their durability,” Arends said. “We’re coming out of an era of people being obsessed with Hydroflasks, and everyone has the trauma of their Hydroflask getting dented, but with Stanleys, for example, I’ve made it a year without it denting.”

Hedrick said the Stanley craze is just another iteration of the trend cycles revolving around water bottles.

“Brands like Hydroflask, Yeti, and Stanley essentially all have the same features and purposes, and funnily enough, they all come from outdoor brands,” Hedrick said.

Founded in 1913 as a camping supply company for rugged outdoorsmen and WWII pilots, Stanley now finds its core demographic amidst teenage girls and their mothers. The resurgence and transformation of this 111-year-old company is particularly fascinating. 

At the forefront of this remarkable turnaround is the former CEO of Crocs, Terence Reilly, who assumed leadership at Stanley as the global president in 2020. The company has witnessed an astronomical rise in annual sales from a modest $70 million in 2019 to an impressive $750 million by 2023.

The company’s growth can be attributed to the revitalization of the Stanley Quencher, a project spearheaded by Reilly.

Founded in 2017, The Buy Guide, an online shopping blog and Instagram account, significantly amplified the Stanley Quencher’s market presence. Stanley and The Buy Guide partnered shortly after the platform’s launch and featured the Quencher’s side handle, straw, thermal insulation, and dishwasher safety.

The partnership with The Buy Guide facilitated Stanley’s foray into affiliate marketing, a move that further expanded its reach and connected the brand more intimately with consumers. This approach leveraged influencer marketing to foster an emotional bond between the brand and its audience, particularly resonating with women. 

The user-generated content found on social media platforms has contributed to Stanley’s viral success, with consumers sharing their personal experiences with the Quencher online.

The question remains, however, whether these cups are overhyped. Saturday Night Live dubbed them as big dumb cups, saying in a recent skit, “If your car explodes, you won’t survive, but your big dumb cup will.” This satirical jab encapsulates the absurdity of the craze. These cups, which can hold almost an entire bottle of wine, have become a cultural phenomenon, a status symbol, and even a cause for criminal activity. 

The allure of the Stanley cup has escalated to the point where thefts have been reported, with one woman arrested and accused of hoarding $2500 worth of these cups in her car, according to NBC News. 

Amid the frenzy for these cups, whispers of lead content and cheap Chinese metal have surfaced. The same Stanley cups women rely on to stay hydrated and stylish may not be much of an upgrade from plastic water bottles. Not only are they relatively heavy, necessitating that quirky handle, but at the bottom lies a stainless steel-covered pellet — the alleged lead culprit. 

According to a Stanley spokesperson, “The pellet seals the product’s vacuum insulation and it isn’t accessible unless the stainless steel barrier comes off.” 

Despite this assurance, the presence of lead, even if sealed away, is somewhat concerning to many women. Additionally, there is the issue of mold in the cup lids, persisting despite the devoted cleaning efforts of owners.

So, as we sip from our trendy, possibly over-hyped Stanley’s, let’s remember to stay hydrated, yet aware. The line between utility and fad is surprisingly thin, with very few trends actually quenching our thirst for belonging. After all, it’s just a cup — or is it?

Loading