Students hit the slopes at Bittersweet Ski Resort

Around 75 students hit the slopes on Saturday despite bad weather and transportation difficulties. 

They traveled to Bittersweet Ski Resort in Otsego, Michigan, for the Student Activities Board’s annual ski trip. Even with rainy weather and the bus breaking down at the last minute, Director of Student Affairs Rachel Marinko ’20 said she was happy it all worked out. 

“We found out Friday night that we wouldn’t be able to take the bus, so that was a bit chaotic,” Marinko said. “It was worked out with transportation though, and we ended up having plenty of seats for people who wanted to ride in vans.”

Sophomore and SAB team member Gianna Dugan also helped organize the event and said even with these difficulties, this was the highest attendance the event has ever had.

“We have never had this many people sign up,” Dugan said. “I think what happened is it was early enough in the semester for people to take a day off before they got swamped.” 

Students arrived at 10 a.m. when the ski hill opened and stayed nearly until closing at 4 p.m. The $40 fee for the trip included both the lift ticket and the student’s choice of ski or snowboard rentals.  

Sophomore Lucy Treene attended the trip and said while conditions were not perfect, the trip was memorable and fun. 

“The skiing conditions were almost a mixture of all kinds of precipitation: water, ice, and snow,” Treene said. “But I was thankful that the rain held off so we could have a great day hitting the slopes.” 

Treene said she enjoyed the break after the first week of classes.  

“I had such a great time being with friends,” Treene said, “watching some of them ski for the first time, and others fall off ski lifts.” 

Loading