Student fed discusses plans to improve campus green spaces

The Student Federation discussed plans to implement student feedback in improving green space during upcoming construction on campus at its meeting Feb. 22.

Sophomore and Student Federation president Jacob Beckwith said the federation will take action in the following weeks.

“We’ll be thinking about how to utilize green spaces on campus in the coming weeks,” he said. “With the north quad being shut down going into spring break, that’s going to be a huge point of conversation.” 

The federation’s campus improvement committee tabled last week to ask students for their campus improvement ideas and collected 275 recommendations, according to Beckwith.

“We want student ideas and we’re going to be trying to implement those things,” he said.

Beckwith said the committee will discuss which ideas to implement and will make a decision in the weeks to come.

The meeting also saw the swearing-in of junior Justus Hume, who filled one of two available junior independent representative seats.

“My plan for being on student fed is to make sure people have the means to do things that will better the culture of our campus,” Hume said.

Hume said from his previous experience in Club Rugby he knows it can be hard to get funding, and he doesn’t want others to have to go through the same process.

“Seeing how hard it has been for Club Rugby to get money over the past few years, I just want to make sure anyone else who has great ideas gets the means to accomplish them,” he said.

The federation also granted $350 to the new Hymn Singing Club at the meeting.

Sophomore and Hymn Club president Stephen Zhou said in his presentation to the federation that funds will go toward 10 new hymnals, binders for music, and a speaker to play piano tracks for singers.

“We are really going to help students grow spiritually by saying these hymns are more than just words and music — they express truths about God and we can really learn and grow spiritually from that,” Zhou said.

The club, which started informally last semester, meets weekly on Sundays from 7-9 p.m. and is open to all of campus.

Beckwith said he appreciates that the club is looking to dive deeper into hymns.

“One of the things that makes this club unique is that they’re wanting to study the hymns, not just sing them,” he said. “They want to learn about the history of the hymns.”

Beckwith also said he is excited for the hymn club to build roots on campus and wants others like it to follow.

“We really want to support clubs who are putting on events or having open meetings for all of campus,” he said. “So no matter what the group is, if they’re trying to do something that anyone on campus can go to and try out or be a part of, we want to support that.”