Share the Warmth of Hillsdale needs volunteers

The Hillsdale chapter of the nonprofit Share the Warmth is open from November to April. Courtesy | Facebook 

Share the Warmth of Hillsdale County is looking for volunteers.

“We serve the unhoused community here in our county,” said Penny Meyers, executive director of Hillsdale’s chapter of the nonprofit Share the Warmth. 

The warming center is a seasonal, nighttime-only emergency warming center, according to Meyers.

Meyers said the county chapter was started by Sozo Church of Hillsdale County, herself, and Kathy Beckwith.

According to its website, Share the Warmth is open from Nov. 1 to April 1 from 6 p.m. to 9 a.m.

Meyers said the center is always in need of volunteers and donations. 

“Monetary funds are always best because then we have the means to go purchase the items that we need,” she said. 

Meyers said items like laundry, soap, deodorant, and feminine products are appreciated. 

Meyers said it is surprising the amount of people who need help.

Volunteer Corinna Lewis said on average 14 people per day use the center, but the total number could be as high as 45 people.

“Another thing that has been really surprising this season are the families that have inquired about Share the Warmth,” Meyers said. 

Meyers said more families with small children are inquiring.

Lewis said that the most rewarding part of volunteering is seeing how appreciative everyone is of simply having a place to stay. 

“Some of them just enjoy having conversations with people,” she said. “They’re just fun to talk to.”

Lewis said the center is in need of a permanent structure. She said the center wants to be open 12 months out of the year.

Hillsdale College freshman Samantha Otting said she thinks it is great the Hillsdale community has a warming center.

“I am glad families have a place to go to get warm during the winter,” she said. 

Loading