Film and Production Club to premiere student films

Junior Joshua Burnett is the president of the Film and Production Club on campus.
Courtesy | Instagram

The Film and Production Club will premiere two 10-minute student films in the TV lounge this Friday, according to club president and junior Joshua Burnett. 

“The Act-Shun,” a comedy, and “A Peculiar Set of Stairs,” a psychological thriller, feature an all-student cast and production team. According to Burnett, the films first entered pre-production in the fall of 2023 and were shot around the end of October. 

“We’ve had probably about 20 students either in cast or crew between the two of them,” Burnett said.

The club will show the first film at 6:30 p.m. followed by a short Q&A. The other film will play at 7 p.m.

In addition to hosting movie nights, talks, and discussions, the club also offers workshops on camera work, sound, and editing to help students develop the skills required to produce films.  

“There’s both the appreciation of film as an artistic medium and also the actual hands-on doing it,” Burnett said. “We try to do both.”

In addition to Friday’s premieres, the Film and Production Club also released the mockumentary “What is a Fundie?” last semester.

“It’s also really cool to see what your fellow students can do with very little budget,” Burnett said. “I’m actually pretty impressed with students who actually haven’t spent that much time doing this who have been able to pull off some pretty cool stuff.”

Sophomore Joseph Johnson, writer and director of “A Peculiar Set of Stairs,” described his film as a psychological thriller about a professor on his long walk home after a day of teaching. Johnson said he thinks students will be able to relate to the film. 

“During finals, we’re all up late studying and that long walk home is sometimes a lonely one, an interesting one,” Johnson said. “I think it’ll come close to the heart. And it’s enjoyable. We’ve got an original score, we’ve got great actors.”

Burnett encouraged students to come check out the films on Friday. According to Burnett, most of the cast and crew for the films will be at the premiere, and the film club will provide snacks.

“It’s right there,” Burnett said. “After dinner just sit there for a few minutes, grab a snack, and see what your fellow students have been able to do.”