Teachers and students agree: don’t talk in class

There’s a reason you don’t see class clowns as stock characters in college movies: They’re too high school.

But in three of my classes this week, students have tried repeatedly to talk — at conversational volume — over lecturing professors.

Maybe I’m in more core classes than usual — or maybe freshmen and sophomores are holding onto high school habits more tightly than before — but no matter what the reason is, it’s horrendous.

Our professors work here because they are some of the best and brightest in their disciplines. Some of them have three doctorate degrees. If their students are whisper-screaming something stupid to a person two seats away — or hunched over, mouth-breathing, playing Clash of Clans — that’s got to be the worst feeling in the world as a teacher of their calibur. 

I don’t know what the certifiable geniuses at this college get paid, but it’s certainly not enough to deal with this level of immaturity. And, professors, if students are going to act like total jerks, I don’t think most students would mind you shutting them down.

On a social note, talking in class is also incredibly annoying to the more subtle students who are also paying to attend these classes. You’re turning away potential friends when you act this un-charming.

Let me get one thing straight: I’m all for a quick quip or side-eye. I’ve communicated with classmates all four years at Hillsdale through looks and simple gestures.

If you can’t quietly do the same with the person sitting next to you, you’re probably not good enough friends to absolutely need to communicate during class.

If you’re so bored that you really can’t pay attention, do us all a favor and fall asleep. Or don’t come to class. It’s less disruptive, and the rest of us won’t know about your startlingly unlikeable personality.