Chapel Choir records on campus during winter break

The Hillsdale College Chapel Choir remained on campus until Dec. 12, filming and recording selections of songs they performed earlier in the year for the marketing department’s media team. 

“A crucial part of Chapel Choir’s mission is to give people an opportunity to have a profound encounter with beauty,” junior Madeline Scheve said. “The idea with the recordings, then, is to give this opportunity to those outside of Hillsdale.”

The choir recorded six pieces, five of which made the final cut for release, according to junior Matt Byrne. The five completed arrangements included “The Eyes of All Wait Upon Thee” by Jean Berger, “O Radiant Dawn” by James MacMillan, and “The Message” by Timothy McDonnell, the director of sacred music at Hillsdale College.

“One of my favorites was definitely ‘The Message’ because it’s a traditional Christmas carol that Dr. McDonnell put his own twist on,” Byrne said. “It’s familiar, which is always nice, and he was very creative with the arrangement, so it was really exciting to both learn and perform.”

Participants stayed in college housing or off campus, according to senior Bridget Whalen.

“As far as I am aware, this could become a regular thing for Chapel Choir,” Whalen said. “The program is still relatively new and has made some incredible progress in just a couple of years.”

The choir worked on a similar project a year prior during the 2022 fall semester in the middle of the academic season, according to Scheve.

“We did it during the school year which was very difficult to do on top of homework and other school obligations,” Scheve said. “Having the recordings after school was officially over relieved a lot of stress and gave us time to focus on singing.”

The group has another recording session planned for the end of the academic year, according to senior Cecilia Gulick. The group will also continue to prepare for performances scheduled throughout the semester. 

“I’m really looking forward to working on Haydn’s ‘Requiem,’” Gulick said. “We have some amazing soloists planned and the music is challenging and a lot of fun to sing.” 

They plan to put together a sacred music showcase for the upcoming CCA and perform around Easter, according to Scheve. The choir will also continue to sing for weekly Sunday Choral Evensong services.

“Whatever we do, it will be an opportunity to contemplate Christ through music,” Whalen said. “We are the Chapel Choir, after all.”