Athletics department to replace Otter’s Army shirts in the fall

A campus tradition has ended: the athletics department will replace the familiar “Otter’s Army” t-shirts it hands out in the fall.

“Starting at the Source in 2024, we will hand out the new shirts to unify our brand and vision,” said Regan Monnin, director of marketing and community relations for the athletics department.

The decision follows the retirement of Keith Otterbein last fall, who served as Hillsdale College’s head football coach from 2002 to 2023 and is the namesake for the shirt and its logo.

“We are not necessarily ready to make decisions on the design or logo of the shirts. We just know we are looking to do something to create a more unified look for the student section for all sports,” said John Tharp, director of athletics.

Tharp said the “Otter’s Army” shirts were a tradition started by Otterbein.

“When coach Otter first came to Hillsdale he gave the shirts to all the freshmen,” Tharp said. “He wanted a unified look for the ‘Otters army.’”

“Otter’s Army” shirts were first given out in 2002. Every year the shirt came in a different color: blue, pink, white, and gray; there was never a set color scheme, Monnnin said. From the time the shirts were first given out, the logo on the shirt changed a few times; however, the slogan always remained the same, Monnin said.

Otterbein’s two sons, Steve Otterbein, defensive coordinator and cornerbacks coach, and Brad Otterbein, offensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator, remain on the coaching staff for the football team. The new head coach is Nate Shreffler, formerly the team’s  offensive coordinator and offensive line coach.

Sophomore defensive linebacker Neal Likenssaid he liked having Otter’s Army shirts.

“They are really cool shirts that show that people have been to at least one football game and have supported us,” Likens said.

Likens says he also favors a new shirt for a new era of football.

“I think the concept of having a shirt that applies to more sports is nice because so many students are involved in things that aren’t football,” sophomore Ellyana Tierney said. 

Likens agreed with Tierney saying the new shirts can make more teams on campus feel supported and seen.

Tierney said she associates the Otter’s Army shirts with Otterbein, so it would not seem right to continue that tradition with a new coach.

“The Otter’s Army shirts were fun to wear because they were funny, so it would be cool if the athletic department could come up with something that keeps the same energy, ” Tierney said.