Taylor Swift reclaims her birth year with her rerelease of 1989

Taylor Swift announced the release date of her album “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” on Aug. 9 to a sold out crowd at SoFi Stadium after months of teasing her fans with hidden messages ranging from Instagram captions to elevator buttons in music videos. The album was officially released on Oct. 27. 

“1989,” named after Swift’s birth year, signified a symbolic rebirth of her artistry as she transitioned from country pop to synth pop. Chopping her curls and leaving Nashville behind for New York City, she also reinvented her image and position in the music business. 

“1989 (Taylor’s Version)” remains a pop masterpiece in 2023 which has only grown in status since its original version, released in 2014. 

As an avid fan of pop music, I have been waiting for this album release since Swift announced she would be re-recording her first six albums in 2021. I was not disappointed. 

Listening to my favorite Taylor Swift album for the first time anew was exhilarating as it was the soundtrack of my childhood. 

My first impression of “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” was the difference in production from the original album. Swift’s vocals sound clearer and the musical elements are sharper with more emphasis on the beat. Some of my less streamed songs on the original album like “Welcome to New York” have jumped out to me because of this change. They almost seem brand new. 

In addition to the original 16-song tracklist, Swift released five new tracks “From the Vault” — songs she wrote in 2014 that did not make it on the original album. Produced by Jack Antonoff, the vault tracks emit a warm tone that transports the album from the bustling streets of New York City to the crashing waves of a Los Angeles beach. 

The new songs are mostly upbeat, with lyrical references to the rise and fall of a past relationship. Swift’s performance in “Now That We Don’t Talk” is my personal favorite, as it captures the struggle of cutting ties with a person you once cared about paired with a catchy beat that makes you want to dance around your dorm. 

“1989 (Taylor’s Version)” has been a long time coming as Swift prematurely dropped her version of “Wildest Dreams” and “This Love” in September 2021 and May 2022, but those were not the only surprise drops linked to this album. Released on the morning of Oct. 27, “Bad Blood (featuring Kendrick Lamar) (Taylor’s Version)” remains the sole featured track on Swift’s fifth studio album. “Sweeter Than Fiction” is another track that was re-released separately, but it is only available on the tangerine vinyl variant sold exclusively at Target. 

While I am a biased fangirl writing this article, “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” is an instant classic that emphasizes Swift’s lyrical talents as well as her love for her fans, whom she addresses in her written prologue to the album.

You, who saw that I reinvent myself for a million reasons, and that one of them is to try my very best to entertain you, you, who have had the grace to allow me the freedom to change,” Swift writes

After reclaiming her birth year, the only things are left for Swift to take back are her reputation and her name.