Students to premiere documentary on ‘The Prison Games’

The documentary filmmaking class will screen this semester’s group project, “The Prison Games,” Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. in Plaster Auditorium. Entry and concessions will be free.

The documentary covers a piece of little-known history from the Hillsdale Chargers football team. In the 1960s and ’70s, the football program was so large that they split their players into junior varsity and varsity teams. Some games on the junior varsity schedule took place in the Jackson State Prison yard against the prison football team. 

Journalism instructor Buddy Moorehouse said he chose the topic for this semester’s documentary because it plays a large role in Hillsdale’s history, and tells a story that reflects Hillsdale’s motto, “Strength rejoices in the challenge.”

“The coach at the time knew it would not only toughen them up but also teach them life lessons that they can’t learn in the classroom or on the football field,” Moorehouse said. “The last part of the movie is going to be about each guy talking about the Hillsdale motto ‘Strength rejoices in the challenge,’ and how it relates to the story from the prison games.”

Director and co-editor of the documentary, junior Erin Osborne, said the story of the prison games is unique and captivating, and incredibly fun to work on.

“As director and an editor of the documentary, my favorite part of the process has been discovering more about the story,” Osborne said. “It has been a joy to learn more about the unique nature of the games. The former players are enthusiastic about telling their stories, and we cannot wait to share them with the Hillsdale College community.”

Sophomore Ty Ruddy, who conducted research for the documentary, said while filming, the students began to realize that the prison games were more than just football games. 

“I think it’s important for people to realize that the Hillsdale College football team playing in the prison was kind of a way to humanize the prisoners a little bit, and I think that goes so far beyond Hillsdale,” Ruddy said. “I think Hillsdale College students should come see it because it’s part of their heritage and part of their history, but I think it strikes a tone for everybody.”

Moorehouse said the interview process for the film was exciting, especially in interviewing former players.

“The stories we are getting from this are absolutely incredible,” Moorehouse said. “These guys have tremendous memories, especially about the impact that these games had on them as kids. It was a whole different experience for any football player.”

According to Moorehouse, students and individuals from all areas of the Hillsdale community should come and see the documentary, as it pertains not only to football and athletics, but to Hillsdale’s history as a whole.

“This story has everything,” Moorehouse said, “football, life lessons, true crime, everything, and it’s a fascinating story for anyone who goes and sees it.”

Loading