Netley takes fitness-focused approach to Physical Wellness Dynamics

Netley’s Physical Wellness Dynamics class is focused on working out. Erin Osborne | Collegian

Hillsdale College students are required to take Physical Wellness Dynamics as part of the core curriculum. But Lecturer in Sport Studies Dr. Christopher Netley takes a unique approach.

“In the years following commencement, it’s relatively unimportant for former students to remember specific neurotransmitters taught in Physical Wellness Dynamics lectures,” Netley said. “It is important for former students to employ skills that help manage their general wellbeing.”

Netley said his Physical Wellness Dynamics class is focused on working out, and students only spend one day in a classroom the entire semester.

The class emphasizes application, junior Julia Leonard said.

“I wanted to gain some practical skills from the class that I would be able to apply in the future,” Leonard said.

Netley created a physical fitness program just for the Physical Wellness Dynamics class.

“I have wanted to get into weight training for some time, but I was afraid that I would do the exercises wrong and injure myself,” Leonard said. “Netley’s training has given me many basic exercises that I will be able to replicate on my own at virtually any gym.”

Students use an app called TrainHeroic to record their workouts, according to junior Ella Lichtenberg.

“I track my progress by looking at the numbers I have entered,” Lichtenberg said. “Those numbers include the repetitions, weights, session readiness, and perceived difficulty of the workout.”

Netley said his class focuses on the application of concepts introduced in lectures.

“While on the gym floor, students receive information and translate that information into action,” Netley said. “Learning occurs through thoughtful repetition with consistent, constructive feedback.”

Netley said he wants students to grow in their learning and confidence, value the course, and improve their physical fitness. He teaches students how to warm up properly, lift weights, and participate in conditioning workouts.

“The idea is to create an environment where students experience a program capable of enhancing physical wellness,” Netley said, “not an environment where students solely receive lectures on the theoretical benefits of physical wellness.”

Netley designed the class to give students healthy habits and the tools to work out in gym environments in the future.

“I love lifting with the girls in my class every week,” Leonard said. “Netley also provides helpful modifications so that I can still benefit from the workout, even if I cannot perform the complete version. People in the class are at different levels, so I never feel uncomfortable with my abilities.”

Students are expected to exercise for at least 75 minutes per week outside of class.

“One of the most common factors Hillsdale College students cite as a barrier to routine exercise is a perceived lack of time,” Netley said. “Physical Wellness Dynamics students receive credit for participating in strength and conditioning sessions two times per week, and for completing aerobic activity outside of class.”

Students take two pre-tests and post-tests, one academic and the other physical. For the spring 2023 class, the academic test score improved by 66% to an average score of 99%.

Physical fitness tests include a dead hang test, which improved by 41.6%; an army hand release push-up test, which improved by 23.5%; a plank test, which improved by 1.8%; and a step test, which improved by 3.1%.

Netley said key class concepts include the American College of Sports Medicine physical activity guidelines, classic linear progression for strength training, training intensity maintenance, understanding the benefits of training variability and consistency, the development of coaching skills, and proficiency in the weight room.

“Physical fitness is used as a method for presenting information in a tangible format,” Netley said. “Physical fitness also provides a wonderful venue for repetition of key concepts. There is no proof that students learn until they put their knowledge into action.”