Graduate school of education launches hybrid program

A hybrid program will allow working adults to earn a master’s degree through a combination of in-person and online classes through the Diana Davis Spencer Graduate School of Classical Education. 

“We knew all along that we wanted to offer a high-quality program for people who can’t move here for two years, which is why we created the hybrid program,” said Daniel Coupland, dean of the graduate school of classical education. “We always knew we wanted to create something to reach out to those people.”

The program will accept its first 15 students this year for classes that will begin summer 2024. The cohort will take the same 36 credit hours as students in residence, but classes will be spread out across three years instead of two. The program will begin on campus in June with a week-long in-person class followed by an online class in July. Students will take only one night class during the fall and spring semesters. 

According to Coupland, the hybrid program’s schedule is targeted toward current teachers and administrators seeking to earn their master’s degrees. 

“We want our students to continue to work as practicing educators,” Coupland said. “We don’t want to pull them away from the schools that they work at, so we are offering classes around their schedules.” 

The graduate school has worked hard to alleviate any concerns students may have about online learning, according to Program Director Jaimie Boerema ’21. 

“We will have the same faculty teaching in the online program as we do in person. And they will be offering the same courses,” Boerema said. “Online classes will also be synchronous, meaning that professors and peers meet live.” 

Assistant Professor of Education David Diener, who will teach a course online next year, said education is a deeply personal affair. 

He hopes the one week intensive classes offered every June will help the students develop a learning community.

“They are designed not only to deliver education content but to build community among the cohort and with professors,” Deiner said. “Spending time on Hillsdale College’s campus helps students become a part of the Hillsdale College community and understand the mission and vision of this institution.”

The hybrid program was designed in response to the growth of classical schools across the country and the need for teachers and administrators, according to Coupland. 

“Classical education is in great demand right now. One of the major impediments to its growth is the ability to identify people who will take on leadership roles within classical education,” Coupland said. “We need more teachers but also more administrators — deans of faculty, deans of curriculum, headmasters, assistant headmasters.” 

According to Boerema, the hybrid program is unique because it won’t take teachers away from the classroom when they are already in short supply. 

“A lot of people are very excited because they would not have an opportunity to complete a program like this otherwise,” Boerema said. “A lot of heads of school are also very excited about this because they don’t have to lose their best teachers.” 

Applications for the program are open through Dec. 15.