Equestrian Club gallops into another year of competition

When November arrives, many Hillsdale students feel they are running at full gallop to end the semester — and some literally are.

After taking an elective course on horseback riding, senior Brianna Bertsch, now the president of the equestrian club, restarted the club her sophomore year. 

“The club had been pretty popular in years past but then was inactive for a while,” Bertsch said. “I took the equestrian class my freshman year and my coach asked me if I could help her restart it and I said I would.” 

The equestrian team originally formed in 2011 but has struggled to stay consistent. 

“It’s a hard club to keep people involved in because it’s a weird time commitment so people will go back and forth in being active,” Bertsch said. “I think we have a really good group this year and it’s been fun working to keep it together over the past three years.”

The club competes in hunter/jumper, a type of English-style riding and is affiliated with the Intercollegiate Horse Shows Association. According to sophomore member Claire Horvath, participants compete by a random draw on a provided horse.

“You don’t know what horse you are going to be riding until you draw a name from a hat right before your event,” Horvath said. “You will also get a word of advice on how to ride the horse like, ‘Use a light hand’ or ‘Will chase other horses.’”

The rider and horse have had no prior interaction, so the rider is expected to adjust promptly to their new horse during compeition, according to Horvath. 

“Once you get in the ring you are immediately judged,” Horvath said. “It really teaches you to learn how to adapt well and quickly.”

Bertsch said she plans on having four or five shows per semester with some being double weekend shows. 

“The show days are the biggest part of the time commitment because you have to get up and leave really early Saturday morning,” Bertsch said. “Then you are there for basically the whole day and get back in the late evening.” 

According to Bertsch, members of the club are encouraged to take the one-credit equestrian class offered by the college partly because the lessons are more cost-effective for students enrolled in the class. 

“We are encouraging the people who are in the show team to take the class as well,” Bertsch said. “That way they get weekly practice in riding, more experience with the coach, and the fees for the lessons are cheaper.”  

The members train at a barn in Parma, Michigan, a 45-minute drive from campus. Freshman member Sarah Morris said both the barn and horses are kept in great condition, making for an enjoyable riding experience.

“It is so refreshing and nice to see all of the massive pastures and horses that are all so healthy and well taken care of,” Morris said. “Our coach is very intentional about making sure the animals are fit to ride.”

Bertsch said her time on the team has equipped her with skills applicable to life outside of riding. 

“I have gained more confidence through riding and also a sense of letting go,” Bertsch said. “I feel like a lot of times it is so easy to get busy on the academic side of things and not let go and enjoy things when you do have the time. I have found it easier to enjoy the things at hand through my time on the team.”