Celebrate Friendsgiving on campus this fall

Before heading home for Thanksgiving Break, dedicate some time to eat food and give thanks with and for your friends. 

“Friendsgiving,” a meal celebrated with friends in addition to or in place of the holiday, is as old as Thanksgiving itself. The first Thanksgiving was in part a celebration of friendship between the Pilgrims and Native Americans of Plymouth, Massachusetts. So, if nothing else, Friendsgiving draws from Thanksgiving’s historical roots.

Many spend Thanksgiving at home with loved ones. But what could be more appropriate than also celebrating with loved ones here in Hillsdale? When you’re at school, you live, eat, and spend much of your time with your friends. Cliché as it is, they become your family. And there’s nothing like a delicious meal to bring family together.  

The unofficial nature of this celebration means it can look however you want. For some, that’s a classic Thanksgiving potluck with turkey and side dishes, or if you’re not a fan of Thanksgiving food, this is your chance to eat foods you actually enjoy. 

Whether you assemble fancy charcuterie boards or order a pizza, a Friendsgiving meal is anything that works for you and your friends. The point is to show your friends gratitude for their presence. 

The Thanksgiving season is a time to count blessings, particularly the ones that will not be around forever. For most, college is the last time in life one can get friends together without expensive plane tickets, big changes in plans, and setting aside family and job responsibilities. You never know when you’ll have this opportunity again. Now is the time to pause, share good food, and give thanks for each other’s company.

Loading