‘Taste and see’ high tea at St. Anthony’s on Sunday

The event is the church’s biggest fundraiser of the year. Courtesy | Facebook

The Council of Catholic Women at St. Anthony’s Catholic Church will host its fourth annual “high tea” event at 2 p.m. this Sunday, Oct. 8. 

The event’s official flier describes it as the “event of the season.”

“Some people get so stuck on whether it’s actual high tea or an afternoon tea,” said Sarah Stewart, member of the St. Anthony CCW. “There are two different kinds in British history, but we call it high tea because it sounds more festive.”

This is a white glove affair, meaning it’s a three-course meal, Stewart said. A classical guitarist from Grand Rapids will perform and 14 students from Hillsdale College will be the servers, according to Stewart. 

Stewart said that the effort put in by the high tea’s volunteers is what makes the magic behind the event.

“They went through a training this past Sunday on how to properly serve and how to escort people to their tables,” she said. “It’s really a very charming event with great food and wonderful music.”

The event also serves great causes, organizers said.

“This is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the Council of Catholic Women,” Stewart said. “It allows us to do more outreach within the community, within the family center, and within St. Anthony’s.”

Many members of the Hillsdale community, including Hillsdale County Sheriff Scott Hodshire, said they are glad to sponsor the tea for the work the CCW does and the joy the event brings.

“My daughter-in-law, her mother, my granddaughter, and some friends go to it, and it’ll be the second year in a row that I sponsored the table for them,” Hodshire said. “They enjoy going to it—they dress up with their fancy hats and dresses.”

Doors open at 1:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance or $15 at the door. 

“Believe me, anyone who comes is stuffed by the time they leave,” Stewart said.