‘Starship Troopers’ book talk explores space, politics

‘Starship  Troopers’ book talk explores space, politics

Fans of politics, philosophy, and alien bugs will enjoy the library’s upcoming book discussion on Robert A. Heinlein’s “Starship Troopers,” a classic novel from the 20th century’s Golden Age of Science Fiction. 

The discussion will take place at noon in Mossey Library’s Heritage Room on Wednesday, Sept. 27. A pizza lunch will be provided. 

“The library hosts a book discussion every semester,” said Brenna Wade, public services librarian at Mossey Library. “This was actually supposed to have happened in February, but the date we had set was also the date of the crazy snow-ice storm.”

Though students need not have read the 1959 book to come to the discussion, Wade strongly encourages them to do so. 

“You’d get a lot more out of it if you did,” she said. 

The plot of “Starship Troopers” intersperses vivid battle episodes with intriguing political philosophy while depicting the training and experiences of a young recruit in the Mechanized Infantry, the supersoldiers of the future.

John J. Miller, director of the Dow Journalism Program, said “Starship Troopers” is a thought-provoking blend of plot and philosophy. 

“The novel at a fundamental level is a novel of ideas,” Miller said. “It’s about questions of citizenship, and who should vote, and what is your commitment as a citizen to your regime.”

According to Miller, who has written about Heinlein for National Review, “Starship Troopers” is an excellent science fiction story which raises important political questions. Though the world of Heinlein’s novel is rooted in a clearly futuristic society, the issue of political duties and war are nevertheless universal inquiries. 

“What makes Heinlein so interesting is that he’s got this novel which is a classic science fiction novel – you know, the aliens are attacking, we must defeat them – but he’s also asking questions about our roles as citizens, and our duties and obligations, and so forth,” Miller said. 

“Starship Troopers” ties these themes together into a narrative, combining an intensely personal military memoir with a creative vision of the future and thoughtful political commentary.

“You have a book that’s at once fun to read and food for thought,” Miller said.