Brush and leaf collection to begin in October

Leaf collection starts soon. Kamden Mulder | Collegian

Hillsdale residents can expect the city’s annual leaf and brush collection program to start Oct. 16. 

Residents must keep a number of dates and guidelines in mind for the city to most effectively collect the debris.

The Hillsdale Department of Public Services crews will do one sweep through town for brush collection on Oct. 16, according to a City of Hillsdale Facebook post. Residents must have their brush set out before 7 a.m.

The leaf collection will begin Oct. 30.

The most important thing for residents to do is getting their cars off the street on collection days, said Jason Blake, director of the Hillsdale DPS. 

“It’s hard for us to collect leaves and sticks when the cars are there,” Blake said. “That’s the biggest hindrance we have.”

If cars block the machine’s path, then the leaves may not be collected.

“Unfortunately, with the time restraints we have,” Blake said, “if there’s cars parked in front of it, they’re probably going to go around and not come back until the second round.”

This year’s leaf and brush collection will also feature some changes.

“The big change we have this year is that we’re not picking up any materials in alleyways,” Blake said. “The reason being is that alleyways are pretty deterring for our machine.”

The city’s leaf collecting machine is relatively new, Blake explained. The machine, which resembles a combine, bears rotating knives that shred the leaves to pieces, helping reduce the space harvested leaves take up.

Because the leaves will be collected and immediately shredded, Blake said the city asks residents not to bag leaves, but to instead accumulate piles in their yards at the edge of the curb.

“We’re not trash collection,” Blake said. “We actually send our leaves out to a contractor who harvests them and reclaims them and topsoil, so he doesn’t want trash in them either.”

The first date of pickup is Oct. 16, which is when the city will do its one-time brush collection this fall. The city will collect bundles of sticks placed parallel to the curb which are under 8 inches in diameter and 8 feet in length. 

Ward 1 can expect leaf pick up on Oct. 30 and Nov. 16. For Ward 2, Nov. 13 and Dec. 7. Ward 3 will be Nov. 17 and 30, and Ward 4 is Nov. 2 and 21. 

With proof of residency, there is also a city drop-off site at 149 Waterworks Ave until Nov. 17. The site is open Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., closed from 12 to 1 p.m.

For more information, one can visit the City of Hillsdale’s Facebook post with dates and other essential information.