WHIP student speaks at Heritage Foundation Anniversary Gala headed by Tucker Carlson

Young conservatives need to turn legal systems back to their constitutional intent, junior Joseph Sturdy said during a speech at the Heritage Foundation’s 50th Anniversary Gala in Washington, D.C. on April 21.

About 2,300 guests attended the event, where former Fox News host Tucker Carlson was the keynote speaker. 

While participating in the Washington-Hillsdale Internship Program this semester, Sturdy interned at the Heritage Foundation in the Edwin Meese III Center for Legal and Judicial Studies department. According to Sturdy, the Meese Center is responsible for dealing with law, courts, and all legal issues. 

“At Heritage, I’ve had the opportunity to form meaningful relationships with influential decision-makers and colleagues,” Sturdy said. “What’s more, nowhere gives young people the ability to engage with constitutional law in the way that Heritage, and specifically the Meese Center, does.” 

In his speech, Sturdy also explained how over the past few decades, progressive principles have afflicted the American political system which desperately needs conservatives in the coming generations to fight against this. 

“Since the 1960s, America has seen the law and the courts plagued by radical ideology, so there’s perhaps nothing more pressing than regaining control of legal institutions to fight for what is right and true,” Sturdy said. “America needs young conservatives — Generation Z — who not only have the right ends in mind, but also a commitment to the means and processes called for in the constitution.” 

Sturdy said while young conservatives find themselves in a difficult place fighting for their beliefs, hope is on the rise. 

“Conservative institutions are seeing an uptick in applications—a welcome sign that, though our work is cut out for us, we are up to the challenge,” Sturdy said. 

Fellow junior and WHIP participant Elizabeth Troutman was present for the speech and praised Sturdy.

“Joseph’s speech representing the next generation of the Heritage Foundation truly made Hillsdale proud. His delivery was spotless and the content of his speech was inspiring,” Troutman said. “It makes sense for a student of the most influential conservative college in America to represent the future of America’s largest conservative think tank.”

Junior and WHIP student Duggan Foley said Sturdy impressed him.

“Joseph was the right man for the job,” Foley said. “He represented Heritage and Hillsdale very well.”