Two years down, two to go: Elise Mason breaks swim records

Sophomore Elise Mason qualified for nationals in both seasons she competed for Hillsdale swim. Courtesy | Regan Monnin

Sophomore Elise Mason was the only Hillsdale swimmer to qualify for the NCAA DII National Championships last year. She was a freshman.

This year, she is one of only two Chargers — alongside sophomore Megan Clifford — who competed at nationals. 

Mason started young.

“I have been swimming competitively since I was 6 years old. Both of my parents and many of my siblings also swam, so the sport definitely runs in the family,” Mason said.

In high school, Mason swam for Michigan Lakeshore Aquatics which is based out of Holland, Michigan, just outside of Grand Rapids.

Mason came to Hillsdale in the fall of 2021 and now holds program records in both the 500 and 1650 freestyle events.

“She just came into her own as her college career got underway and melded into the type of training we provided which was a blessing for both her and our program,” head coach Kurt Kirner said.

During her freshman year season, Mason qualified for nationals in the 500, 1000, and 1650 freestyle events. According to Kirner, that glimpse of success drove her to improve with every practice.

“I was very satisfied with her performances at that meet as it was just a taste of what she needed to experience,” Kirner said.

In her second season as a Charger, Mason qualified for nationals again in the same events and placed 11th in the nation in the 1650 freestyle, dropping the most time off of her previous personal best out of anyone in the competition.

“I would definitely give some of the credit to coach Kirner and the program he has created,” Mason said.

Mason’s teammates said she is a determined and ferocious athlete, pursuing excellence in whatever she does. 

“She is one of the hardest workers on our team, and she gracefully embraces every challenge that our coach throws at her each day at practice,” sophomore Caroline Holmes said.

Mason said that even though these events are physically and mentally grueling, she has found support in her teammates and coaches, which has lightened the load.

“I am very thankful for this team and all of the support that my coaches and teammates offer,” Mason said.

Kirner believes Mason has only started what will turn into an amazing collegiate swimming career.

“The bright lining is that she has more to accomplish in her approach to the next two years. I feel she has only scratched the surface,” Kirner said.

Loading