Sororities’ service: How greeks give back

Each year, Hillsdale’s sororities hold events that raise money for good causes.
Courtesy | Unsplash

From pancakes to chocolate roses, Hillsdale sororities find creative ways to get students to contribute to philanthropic causes.

Every spring semester, each of Hillsdale’s sororities– Chi Omega, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and Pi Beta Phi– dedicate time and resources to events meant to draw attention and support for their respective philanthropic associations.

Chi Omega’s president, Aruna Harihara, described the importance of her sorority’s philanthropy, Make-A-Wish. The Make-A-Wish Foundation is a non-profit organization that grants over 15,000 wishes annually to critically-ill children, thanks in large part to the over $20 million raised by Chi Omega women nationally. 

“Community service is extremely important for Chi Omega, as it is one of our six purposes,” Harihara said. “Even going beyond that, service to others allows us to look beyond ourselves and the business of our daily lives.”

Kappa Kappa Gamma and Pi Beta Phi’s philanthropy directors – Phoebe Johnson and Abigail Fleming – agreed with this sentiment, citing philanthropy as one of the main characteristics of sorority life. 

“Philanthropy and service are at the core of what Pi Phi is and believes in,” Fleming said. “As college students, it is easy to lose sight of what is really important, but engaging with the community and giving back to those around us reminds us that there is more to life than school. Helping those in need is important to who we are as human beings.”

Phoebe Johnston, the philanthropy director for Kappa Kappa Gamma, emphasized the role philanthropy plays in allowing members of the sorority to live out their values and effect positive change.  

While most of the sorority philanthropy events are long standing traditions, each organization often tries to introduce new ideas to keep campus interested and involved.  

Kappa’s annual Valentine’s Day Send-A-Rose campaign, which raised money for the National Eating Disorders Association, has been a campus tradition for many years and allows students and faculty to purchase a rose to send to a loved one, either anonymously or with a note. 

“There are some events that are traditional, like Send-A-Rose, but there is still a lot of freedom when it comes to finding new ways to do things,” Johnston said. “This year, we switched to chocolate roses instead of real ones and people seemed to really enjoy it and we got even more orders than before.” 

Chi Omega philanthropy chair, Ruth Kirsch, described how she is introducing a new event this year that is closer to the students’ hearts. 

“I’ve decided to add an extra event this year unrelated to our national philanthropy– a drive for Helping Hands Pregnancy Center, which is right here in Hillsdale,” Kirsch said. “The upcoming Pregnancy Center drive will be a completely new event for Chi Omega, but I’m looking forward to it hopefully becoming a tradition.”

Kappa Kappa Gamma nationally has a mental health and well-being focus, but each chapter gets to choose a specific organization to support. 

“We should be critical of how we understand and help those with mental illness and eating disorders as a group of college-age women in an age of endless scrolling on TikTok and illusory Instagram posts,” said Kappa’s President, Evelyn Kilty. “Aiding organizations that help people and families struggling should be taken with the utmost sincerity and confidence.”

While Kappa and Chi Omega work with independent organizations, Pi Phi’s created their own philanthropy, Read > Lead > Achieve nonprofit organization, which combats children’s illiteracy. 

Fleming’s personal favorite philanthropy event this spring was the official Pi Beta Phi program, Champions are Readers because it was directly working with children in the community. In January, about a dozen Pi Phi women spent a week reading to first-grade students at Gier Elementary School in Hillsdale as part of CAR. 

“The students were so excited to have so many ‘Pi Phi Friends,’ and the girls in the house definitely bonded over the amazing experience of interacting with, and reading to, such sweet kids,” Fleming said.

In their own ways, Hillsdale’s sororities are dedicated to making a difference in our community and strengthening the bonds within their houses in the process.

“Philanthropy events are avenues for fun and cherished college memories, but hold more meaning than other events we organize because we are raising money for the good of another,” said Kilty. “Philanthropy also shows us that the spirit of magnanimity and kindness is something worth continuing and preserving.”

Pi Phi’s President, Hannah Allen, said, “Philanthropy is an opportunity to embrace something outside of ourselves. It gives you a whole new perspective. It reminds me that I can make an impact, even if it may be small.”

Harihara explained the importance of philanthropy on the college campus and beyond. 

“Greek life is designed to create a community of students outside the classroom, while also striving to live as the best version of ourselves,” Harihara said.

Loading