Sexual assault suspect to face preliminary exam hearing

Leandro Pereyra. Courtesy | JailTracker

The suspect in an alleged Easter weekend sexual assault will likely face a preliminary examination next week.

35-year-old Litchfield man Leandro Pereyra is set to face the hearing on May 3 at 2:30 p.m., according to the district court docket. The judge will evaluate the charges against Pereyra, determining whether his case will proceed to the circuit court.

Pereyra was apprehended early Easter morning by the City of Hillsdale Police Department on suspicion of raping a woman in a room at the Days Inn.

At the preliminary examination, the prosecutor must show probable cause that a crime was committed and that Pereyra committed it, according to his attorney Kimm Burger.

Pereyra faces charges of third-degree criminal sexual conduct, which is punishable by a 15-year maximum sentence, Prosecutor Neal Brady previously said.

A probable cause conference was held on April 19, Burger said.

“The probable cause conference is an informal way to try to resolve the case,” she said.

Since the conference did not reach a resolution, Pereyra will move forward for a preliminary examination.

His preliminary exam was first scheduled for 2 p.m. on April 26, but Burger was expecting it would be pushed to next week since she had not yet received enough information.

“I requested the body camera video, hotel video, and SANE report — basically a rape kit,” she said.

A SANE report is filed by a nurse trained in sexual assault examinations.

“Once I get those, then I will be comfortable with proceeding to the preliminary examination,” Burger said.

Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Jamie Wisniewski also said she expected the preliminary exam would be postponed until after April 26.

“We are waiting on a few pieces of evidence and exchanging evidence with his attorney at this time,” Wisniewski said.

If the prosecutor can demonstrate likelihood that the crime occurred and that Pereyra committed it, Burger said, the case will proceed on the felony offense in the circuit court.