“Service, not self”: Hillsdale American Legion Auxiliary celebrates centennial

Mayor of Hillsdale Adam Stockford bestowed Post 53 American Legion Auxiliary with a copy of their proclamation on April 10. Courtesy|Post 53 American Legion Auxiliary

“I saw the date and said, ‘Guys, we’ve got 100 years,’” Dianne Paul, treasurer of the American Legion Auxiliary said to her colleagues. 

On April 10, the women of the Post 53 American Legion Auxiliary (ALA) celebrated their 100-year anniversary over refreshments and snacks right on the edge of Baw Beese Lake. The sky was blue, the mosquitos were out, and the Bud was Light.

The ALA is a subdivision of the American Legion, a nonprofit organization of U.S. war veterans that was founded in 1919. There are over 3,000 “posts,” gathering spots for members (most always well-equipped with a bar), across America with 360 posts in Michigan alone. 

The ALA works to support the Legion through veteran advocacy, citizenship education, youth mentorship, and the promotion of patriotism, according to its website. Although the ALA works in tandem with the Legion, they abide by their own set of bylaws and operate under their own elected president. 

Connie McDowell, whose husband is a Vietnam army veteran, is the current Unit 53 ALA president and came to her position last year after serving nearly thirteen years as the unit’s treasurer. 

“My favorite event that we do every year is the poppies for veterans in May,” McDowell said. “Auxiliary ladies will go out around town and ask people if they’ll wear a poppy for a veteran. They donate money and it all goes toward our veteran programs.”

Unit 53 ALA has about 170 members— some of whom regularly attend the monthly meetings and help coordinate community events, like the celebration on Monday. Paul is one of them. Despite only being a member of this post for about a year and a half, she serves as the ALA treasurer. 

“My father was a past commander at the Montgomery legion,” Paul said. “I used to go there with him and my kids as well. When we moved to Michigan from Ohio, the Hillsdale legion was much closer and more active than our post in Perrysburg.”

Paul also helped write the proclamation submitted to and approved by the Mayor of Hillsdale Adam Stockford, who came to the celebration to read the proclamation and bestow a printed copy to the governing council of the ALA.

“ALA unit 53 exemplifies service not self through countless volunteer hours, programs, and participation in service projects and never wavers in their commitment to honor those who have served their country and to assist those in the Hillsdale community,” Stockford read.

One of Paul’s favorite events the ALA participates in is the Wreaths Across America program, which coordinates wreath-laying ceremonies at more than 3,700 locations of veterans’ graves across America every December.

“My husband and I started a chapter here last year,” Paul said. “We were able to cover every veteran’s grave here. It was super cool, and hopefully, it will carry on as a tradition. The people in the community really supported us.”

The Legion hosts many events throughout the year like Easter egg hunts, a Memorial Day service, and their Baw Beese Bash, a three-day event in June. They even have a fireworks display on July 3rd every year. Most events are open to the public as well as members. 

“That’s a goal a few of us are working toward,” Paul said. “We have to get the word out more. People just don’t know what kind of things we do.”

American Legion membership is open to active-duty military service members, Reserve, National Guard, and honorably discharged veterans. The ALA is open to women who are descendants of the members of the Legion. With minimal annual dues, membership to the Legion and its associated groups secure members access to a community that works to honor and preserve U.S. veteran contributions. 

“The Legion has been having a hard time, so the money we make through our events helps it stay afloat,” McDowell said. “I figure if we’re helping the Post, we’re helping veterans.”

Maybe next week, instead of a Pub & Grub karaoke visit or an El Cerrito’s margarita tower, military members and their relatives will consider a trip down to Baw Beese where the beers are cheap and the patriotic spirit runs high.