Seniors nominate professor of the year

Seniors nominate professor of the year

Chairman and Associate Professor of Psychology Collin Barnes was one of four professors nominated for professor of the year.

Voting for professor of the year continues through Friday, April 21, as seniors select among four candidates for the honor. The winner will be announced May 5 at the president’s commencement dinner.

“The professor of the year award gives seniors the opportunity to express their gratitude for formative professors who have shaped their academic experience at Hillsdale,” Senior Class Treasurer Beth Potwardowski said. “Additionally, the professor of the year has the opportunity to speak at the upcoming fall convocation.” 

The candidates are Collin Barnes, chairman and associate professor of psychology; Ethan Stoneman, chairman and assistant professor of rhetoric and media; Cody Strecker, assistant professor of theology; and Jeffrey VanZant, assistant professor of biology. 

“The nomination process required seniors to write and submit a proposal explaining why their nominated professor should win professor of the year,” Potwardowski said. “They also had to gather at least five signatures from other members of the senior class. We had a total of four nominations this year, so every professor that was nominated will appear on the ballot for seniors to vote.”

According to Kayla Wright, communications manager for career services and advisor for the senior class officers, the award aims to acknowledge professors and the work they do for students and for the college.

“The recommendations are based on the professors inside the classroom and outside the classroom, and their campus involvement, which includes general student support,” Wright said.

Several of the professors highlighted some of their favorite parts of being a Hillsdale professor. 

“The best part about teaching at Hillsdale is that the students are having so much fun,” Strecker said. “Students are serious about serious things, of course. But there’s such energy and delight in the work we get to do together.”

VanZant agreed with Strecker that the students make Hillsdale what it is.

“For me, the highlights of teaching here are always the students. Helping them get where they want to go, that’s just awesome,” VanZant said. “It’s always fun to have students come in as freshmen — in a sense still in high school, really — and watch them change a lot. That’s the rewarding part — to be a part of that story.”

Barnes also expressed gratitude for being nominated. 

“I want to thank the students who took the time out of their schedules to nominate me,” Barnes said. “It’s a busy time of year, and it means a lot that they thought well enough of me to do it.” 

Strecker said he was honored to be nominated. 

“I consider nomination for this award the highest honor a professor at Hillsdale could receive,” Strecker said.” “I’m grateful for this selection and the admirable company I’m in.”