Army vet author to speak on campus next week

Veteran and author Don Bentley released his new book "Forgotten War" this month.

Veteran and author Don Bentley released his new book “Forgotten War” this month.

Author and Army veteran Don Bentley will visit Hillsdale to speak about his new book “Forgotten War” Thursday, May 4, at 7:30 p.m. in Lane 124.

Bentley has written four military thrillers in his own series of novels featuring the character Matt Drake, as well as books that feature Jack Ryan Jr. in the Tom Clancy series. The Dow Journalism Program is sponsoring Bently’s visit.

“Veterans will have a special interest in this story,” said John J. Miller, director of the Dow Journalism Program. “Students who are thinking about careers in the military will have an interest, students who are interested in military history and grand strategy will have an interest, and also people who are writers or potential writers or thinking about publishing novels.” 

Miller learned about Bentley during his research two years ago for a National Review article on veterans who served in Afghanistan and Iraq and now contribute to the military-thriller genre. 

“I had noticed the rise of a newer and younger generation of writers who were involved in these more recent conflicts,” Miller said. 

During his service in Afghanistan, where he flew Apache helicopters, Bentley was involved in a botched mission to save four lost SEALs in Afghanistan. Only one survived: Marcus Lutrell, whose story later was told in the movie “Lone Survivor.” Bentley told Miller this mission haunted him for years, but he finally decided to write about it in novel form.

Associate Dean of Men Jeffery Rogers said Bentley is an American hero who served to protect our freedoms. Rogers said we should express our gratitude to him for this sacrifice. 

“By acknowledging his contributions and sacrifices, we can demonstrate our appreciation and admiration for him and others like him who have served our nation,” Rogers said. “Taking a break from our daily routine to express our thanks is a small but significant gesture that can go a long way.”

Miller said he has never met Bentley in person but has remained in contact through email and social media. Bentley told Miller he would be in Ohio for his book tour at the beginning of May and would love to see Hillsdale, Miller said. 

“He’ll tell us his story as a veteran and as a writer,” Miller said.