‘HOPE’ reveals NF’s maturing message & sound

Rapper NF released his newest album, “HOPE,” on Feb. 16.
Courtesy | Wikimedia Commons

After years of releasing music centered around the dark thoughts clouding his mind with songs titled “Outcast,” “Let You Down,” and “Paralyzed,” NF stuns listeners with the first track on his forthcoming album “HOPE.”

NF’s music video, “HOPE,” released Feb. 16 has garnered over 8 million views after surfacing on Youtube’s trending music list. 

The music video begins with the camera scanning the ocean. “DRIFTING,” a song NF released in 2021, included the line “Aren’t these waters so deceivin’?” By drawing his viewers attention to the ocean, NF reminds them of all the times he has felt lost and hopeless in the past.

When the song crescendos and finally reaches its first peak, NF appears drifting on a raft in the middle of the ocean. In his past music videos, he has always donned dark clothing. For the first time, NF appears wearing something lighter. This symbolizes his attempt to turn away from his dark past and into the hope of a bright, new future. 

While drifting on the raft, NF reflects on the past 30 years of his life. He thought his music would help him make progress with dealing with the demons in his life, but has come to realize that he needs something new. He needs hope. 

NF’s full album releases on April 7. It will be something new and something very different from what his fans have become accustomed to. NF’s new album will feature him on his journey to establish a new mindset – one full of hope and optimism for the future. 

This song and video is an introduction to NF’s anticipated album. When NF introduces his new album in the music video, there are competing voices fighting over whose album it will be. NF is partly in the ocean and partly on shore. The album will either be inspired by NF’s old self or his new one. In the end, NF’s new self wins and he declares that his new album is “HOPE.” This emblematic moment showcases him taking a step on solid ground where the future is promising, unlike the ocean which is ever-changing and oftentimes very dangerous.

Right after NF declares the name of his album, orchestral music starts playing, signifying the start of something new. In this section of the song, NF asks what his definition of success is and then defines it. In NF’s 2018 song “WHY,” NF asks this same question, except he does not know the answer. However, in this song, NF gives multiple definitions of success. 

One of NF’s descriptions of a successful person is: “It’s a person that can see the bright side through the dark times when there ain’t one.” NF now knows what makes a successful person, and is working hard to be one. As he sings this line, viewers see the old NF sitting on a rock in dark clothing. This old version of NF appears throughout the video and tries, albeit unsuccessfully, to take the new and hopeful NF off course.

NF starts to wander around the island while holding a sheet of parchment that serves as his map. However, after a few wrong turns, he ends up back to the place he started – the shore. His old self is there to mock him and make fun of his efforts in trying to make sense of the map and reach his destination. All of a sudden, the old NF pushes the more hopeful NF into the sand. NF falls through the sand that suddenly turns into the roof of a mansion. In 2015, NF released “Mansion,” a song where he described his mind as a mansion he could neither escape nor let anyone into. After NF hits the floor of the mansion, the music from his song “HOPE” stops playing and the opening lines of his song “Mansion” start echoing through the walls of the place he finds himself in.

As NF journeys through the many rooms of the mansion, his song “HOPE” starts playing again and he sees his old self. Each door he opens leads him to a room that shows a version of his past self. Traversing through the mansion is like taking a trip to see his past. NF examines his past in light of his new self and says, “I’m a prime example of what happens when you choose to not accept defeat and face your demons.”

As NF walks through a hallway, his past self suddenly comes up behind NF and puts a dark cloth over his head. The music stops for a few seconds. When it starts back up again, NF is seen stripping off the cloth from his head while on top of a mountain. It took 30 years for NF to get to where he is. Thirty years for him to climb the mountain that is his life. 

NF credits this progress to his son, who was born in 2021. He describes the feelings that go through his head while holding his son in his arms. NF wants his son to have a different childhood than his own. He does not want his child to grow up questioning his worth and wondering if his dad will be there for him.

NF then begins a long series of statements where he describes the first 30 years that made up his life. 

The song ends with a battle between NF and the demons trying to take over him. His demons say, “you’ll never evolve,” but NF says, “I know I can change.” NF’s final lines in his song are, “I’m the one in charge / I’m taking the, no / I’m taking the / Reigns.” 

In his song, “LOST,” released in 2021, NF says, “I’d love to pack arenas and all / But what I really wanna do is learn to handle my thoughts / And put the reins on ’em, show ’em I’m the one that’s the boss.” NF’s latest song, “HOPE,” recounts the times in his life when he has felt inadequate and overcome with negative emotions. He presses on, despite the challenges, to take control of his thoughts and emotions and refuses to let them take control of him. 

NF’s new music video, “HOPE,” is a brilliant representation of an overcomer.