Get in the Easter spirit

Get in the Easter spirit

Jesus, Simon, and the apostles in the 1972 movie, “Jesus Christ Superstar.”
Courtesy | Wikimedia Commons

When you think about religious films, you probably don’t think about rock opera. I, however, cannot help but think about a particular rock opera whenever movies about the Bible come up — “Jesus Christ Superstar. My family saw the film in theaters when it first came out in 1973. 

“It was a big deal that Ma and Dad were taking all of us to the movies,” my mother told me. “I remember we had to sit in one of the first rows of the movie theater because it was so packed.” 

She was only 8 years old then, but she still remembers how much she loved the songs and dance sequences. “I remember trying to sing Mary Magdalene’s parts in the shower weeks later,” she said. The next day, my grandfather bought the soundtrack so the kids could play it when they got home from school. Since then, they’ve played that album every year at Easter. 

A little over 10 years ago, my mother found the DVD version of the musical. Since then, the family has watched it religiously every year during Lent, and you should too. Today, the film is woefully underappreciated. Its revolutionary portrayals of Christ and his companions, its anachronistic imagery, and its unforgettable music should have lodged it into the short list of great biblical cinema. 

In its day, the film won much acclaim. The three lead singers — Yvonne Elliman, Carl Anderson, and Ted Neeley — playing Mary, Judas, and Jesus, respectively, each won Golden Globes for their performances. “Jesus Christ Superstar” was the highest-grossing musical in the US and Canada the year of its release, bringing in $24.5 million. Much of the film’s success was owed to its brilliant director — Norman Jewison. In “Superstars: the Documentary,” Jewison recalled that he had been presented with Andrew Lloyd Webber’s play script while he was directing Fiddler on the Roof.” 

“Since there was no dialogue,” he said, “I wanted to place real emphasis on the visual images we used.” 

Jewison’s anachronistic imagery makes for some of the most compelling visuals. Filmed in Israel shortly after the Six Days War and amidst America’s campaign in Vietnam, Jewison heavily utilized anti-war imagery throughout the film. The Roman soldiers are armed with machine guns, and  Judas’ vision of the Romans invading Jerusalem features five Israeli Centurion tanks and two fighter jets.  

“Even here in Jerusalem, in this time of war, it is clear that the principles of Christ have been abandoned,” Jewison stated in a 1973 interview. 

The style of all of Jewison’s characters (except Jesus) screams ‘70s. Herod dons a pair of stylish circular shades at Christ’s trial, the angels wear white, fringed leather jumpsuits, and most of the disciples sport suede bell bottoms and freshly permed afros at the Last Supper. 

“Silly as it may seem now,” my grandmother told me, “that was what was cool back then. They were appealing to the hippies and young people.” Jewison’s revolutionary artistic and marketing strategy was matched only by his storytelling ability. Because of the dance sequences and over-the-top style, some may worry that 

Jesus Christ Superstarlacks some of the gravity which is owed to a story about Christ’s passion. Despite its edginess, however, the film still encourages the audience to tackle profound issues about their relationship to Jesus. Pilate’s question to the mob — “Who is this Jesus? Why is he different?” — could just as easily be asked of us. Mary and Judas’ struggle with Jesus, conveyed through their shared line, “I don’t know how to love him,” depicts the struggle shared by every modern Christian. 

Despite its moments of levity, Jesus Christ Superstarcommunicates the same timeless messages that any Easter sermon might but in an entertaining and memorable way. I’m not the only one who thinks so. In 2015, Neeley said in an interview that soon after the film’s release, Jewison had the chance to show it to Pope Pius VI. 

“Not only do I appreciate your beautiful rock opera film, I believe it will bring more people around the world to Christianity than anything has before,” the pope told Jewison.

So when you get the chance, run by Mossey library, check out the DVD, and discover what the buzz is all about.