Protect the vulnerable: Ban pit bulls

Protect the vulnerable: Ban pit bulls

Imagine coming home one day to learn that your 2-year-old daughter and 5-month-old son are dead, and their mother is in the hospital in critical condition. For Colby Bennard, this nightmare became reality on Oct. 6, 2022, when the family’s pet pit bulls attacked and killed his children and mauled their mother, according to DogsBite.org. The pit bulls had never demonstrated signs of aggression before, making their attack a shock to Bennard and his wife. 

Because of their aggressive nature and history of vicious attacks, the breeding of pit bulls should be banned. 

Stories of pit bulls killing or hurting people, including their owners, are common. According to DogsBite.org, an organization that seeks to educate Americans on dangerous dog breeds, pit bulls killed 283 Americans from 2005-2017, accounting for 80% of dog-bite deaths in the nation. While they are responsible for the majority of dog bite-related deaths, pit bulls make up only about 6% of the dog population in America. These statistics show that pit bulls are much more dangerous than other breeds.

Given the history of their breeding, it makes sense. Originally, pit bulls were bred for dog fights, and as a result, they have certain genetic traits that give them an advantage in an attack, according to DogsBite.org. For example, after pit bulls bite, they hold on to their victims and shake them without letting go. Other traits include unwillingness to give up in a fight and unpredictable aggression. The genetic history of pit bulls demonstrates that the problem with pit bulls is in the dog, not how the owner trained it. 

Pit bull victims include owners, family members, and visiting friends, ranging from infants to elderly. According to data compiled by Kenneth Phillips, an attorney in dog-bite law, 53% of pit bull attacks have been pit bulls attacking their owners. Pit bulls do not form strong attachments to their owners. In fact, Phillips has compiled data showing that pit bulls will even eat their owners, leaving nothing but bones after their attacks, according to his website, dogbitelaw.com. 

Of course, many owners love their pit bulls and have never experienced an attack. However, the breed  is unpredictable and a danger to not only the owners but also their guests.

While animals deserve to be treated humanely, their welfare should not be valued above that of a human. 

Pit bulls pose a serious risk to American families, a risk that could be prevented by banning their breeding. While this may seem harsh, it is necessary for the safety of Americans. Although pit bulls attack a range of victims, often the ones who suffer most are the elderly or children like the Bennards. Protecting the vulnerable is nonnegotiable, even  if it means sterilizing or banning a specific breed of dog.

Loading