Don’t listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving

In the Nov. 10 issue of the Collegian, Meghan Schultz argued that we should listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. Alfred’s advice to Bruce Wayne in “The Dark Knight” has never had better support: “some men just want to watch the world burn.”

Listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving debases the currency of the Christmas spirit, tramples all over Thanksgiving, and further separates the holiday from the birth of Christ. We call it “Christmas music” for a reason: “O Holy Night” doesn’t hit the same in early November.

Where’s the limit? What’s to prevent “Winter Wonderland” in July?

“There’s no such thing as a time too early to listen to Christmas music. . . whether in July or after Thanksgiving,” she wrote.

Listening to Christmas music out of season weakens its effect. Over the past year, every American has become familiar with inflation and its consequences. A currency loses its value when we create more of it. The same goes for Christmas music. What Schultz is really arguing for is the rapid expansion of Christmas music throughout the year, which will quickly bring the devaluation of the Christmas spirit. Beware the binge that brings a “Blue Christmas.”

But this is merely the “ever-false myth,” Schultz claimed, “that Christmas music can get old and tired.” Tell that to the ears of every American on Dec. 26 after hearing Mariah Carey every day since Thanksgiving or earlier.

But there should be no escape.

“Christmas music is cool,” she said. “Every month. . . every time of day . . . every holiday.”

Every holiday? Is Schultz jamming to “Silent Night” on Independence Day? “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” on Father’s Day? “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer” on Grandparents’ Day?

At least have some respect for Thanksgiving.

Don’t forget about the nativity itself. The further we separate Christmas music from Dec. 25, the further the season drifts from the birth of Christ. The secular culture doesn’t need any more help than it already gets. Four in 10 millennials said they won’t be celebrating Christmas in any religious way, according to a Pew Research Poll. If in 20 years we’re dancing to “Feliz Navidad” in the June sun, we might have to wonder, “what was this holiday about again?”

Schultz closes her piece by painting a wonderful scene. But notice the contradiction? “Picture this. . . in early December days, snow falls. . . tomorrow’s your last final . . .  the union sparkles with Christmas lights and tiny, fake evergreen trees. . . and Frank Sinatra plays. . .”

What an excellent depiction of the Christmas season — exactly where Christmas music belongs.