Students hit the road for fall break: Mackinaw City, Michigan

Senior Megan Williams spent her break reminiscing about her years in Michigan by visiting a place close to her mother’s heart

My first trip to the Midwest was one I can’t remember. When I was three months old, my mother’s extended family held a reunion in their home state of Michigan. We boarded a plane in Los Angeles and ended up traversing the state of Michigan in July 2001. Though I may not remember the summer heat, the glistening surface of Lake Michigan, or all the kisses I received from my great aunts, I do remember one thing: my mom’s navy blue, cotton, zip-up jacket with Mackinac Island embroidered in red thread on the left-hand side. 

My mom wore that sweatshirt all around the house. It was the coat she wrapped herself up in during those misty January mornings. Whenever she was sitting at the computer, sipping coffee and doing taxes, my mom was wearing that jacket. I grew up connecting that coat with the comfort of our home and the love of my family, which is why I began borrowing it before I even knew how to pronounce Mackinac. 

I distinctly remember the night my mom described Mackinac Island to me. This storied little island off the coast of Michigan where people still drove horse-drawn carriages and rode their bikes around town. It seemed so quaint, like the little French villages you hear about in fairytales. 

So, when the conversation of where to spend my final fall break at Hillsdale College occurred, there was only one place I wanted to go: Mackinac Island. Thankfully, I had a few friends who indulged my little dream and helped me plan a trip to northern Michigan. 

Departing Hillsdale after classes last Wednesday, we began our four and a half hour drive to a little cabin in Mackinaw City. Traveling under the cover of golden and amber leaves, I couldn’t help but reminisce over my last four years in a state that means so much to my family. 

Four years ago, my grandfather and mom flew out with me for move-in weekend my freshman year, and before we arrived at the college, we did some much-needed touring around the state. After a reminiscent few days, my grandfather carried my boxes up the stairs of McIntyre, drove us to church Sunday morning, and held my mom’s hand when she had to say goodbye. 

All of these memories and my family history flooded back to me as I drove up north with a few friends for fall break. Arriving at our cabin, we settled into our small cabin on Paradise Lake and got a good night’s rest to prepare us for the next day. 

While driving into Mackinaw City the next morning, we grabbed coffee, purchased our ferry tickets, and climbed up to the top floor of the boat to begin our day on the island. As we pulled into the boat dock, the captain identified different buildings, forts, and houses along the island. The smell of chocolate, a row of brightly-colored shops, and a horse pulling a wagon full of supplies greeted us in town. It felt too good to be true. 

We were on a mission to stop in every shop, walk down as many streets as we could, and take hundreds of photos to send to our mothers. We visited St. Anne’s Catholic Church – a stately, white building with ornate stained glass creaky floors on the inside. Walking along the island’s shore, we decided to visit The Original Mackinac Butterfly House & Insect World, an indoor garden filled with hundreds of live butterflies. 

Large, royal blue butterflies fluttered in a circle above our heads. With the “Downton Abbey” soundtrack playing in the background and butterflies landing on our bags and shoulders, the experience was truly ethereal. 

We stopped back in town for a bite to eat, sharing a pizza and snacking on famous Mackinac Island fudge. Trekking up the hill to the top of the island, we walked around Fort Mackinac, past the governor’s house, and down a road leading to other sights. After some morning rain, the trees, dirt, and roads were wet, smelling strongly of soil and wood. As we wandered, we happened upon a cemetery and decided to visit the graves. We pointed out veterans’ tombstones from the 19th century and took a moment to rest in the peace we found there. 

With the weather predicting showers in the next twenty minutes, we quickly made our way back to the main street and continued to search for souvenirs to take home with us. While my friends looked for stickers, sweatshirts, and shot glasses, I was on the hunt to find a replica of my mother’s Mackinac Island jacket that I could keep as my own. 

I left the island with a smaller bucket list, feeling all the more prepared to enjoy my final few months in Michigan. As the ferry chugged away, I looked back at the island, holding my new purchase close: a navy blue, cotton, zip-up jacket with “Mackinac Island” embroidered on the left-hand side.