Women’s cross country starts season with smallest team in years

2021-2022 women’s cross country runners.
Courtesy | Hillsdale Athletic Department

Though making up a smaller team this year, the runners on the Hillsdale women’s cross country team are preparing to charge at this season’s competition, according to junior Meg Scheske.

“This is the smallest team that we’ve had, at least in my four years here, and I’ve been really encouraged by the intensity and the desire of every single girl on the team to contribute and to do her part and to really succeed this year despite our limited numbers,” Scheske said. “The fighter mentality is definitely a thing.”

According to head coach R.P. White, the team has one new addition: freshman Kaitlyn Rust, an academic senior who is beginning her first collegiate season of cross country after running for the track and field team for four years.

Looking ahead to the upcoming season, White said some of his primary strategies will include looking at elevation and course maps. 

“As far as the racing strategy, that’s dependent on our environment,” White said. “Consistency is key.”

He said he’s planning on discouraging the team from running with race-like intensity during practices. 

“We’re going to work appropriately and not go as hard as you can every single practice,” White said.”

Sophomore Liz Wamsley said one of her personal goals for the season is to run a 6k race in under 21 minutes.

“Usually, because each course is so different, it’s hard to compare times from one course to the other. Generally, I’d like to break 21 minutes in the 6k. I got close to it last fall.”

The race she said she is most looking forward to is the Louisville Cross Country Classic in Louisville, Kentucky.

“I’m really looking forward to running the Louisville course because it sounds flat and fast,” Wamsley said.

Wamsley said the team usually works together to set goals at the beginning of each season. 

“Normally we get together at the beginning of each season and make a list of concrete goals, but we haven’t done that yet,” Wamsley said. “Typically one of our bigger goals would be qualifying for nationals and representing the school there. Another one has to do with culture and community.”

One of the primary reasons the team is delaying goal-setting is that this year is a festival year.

“The NCAA started to do only in DII a fall festival where they try to have multiple national championships at the same venue,” White said.

The fall festival takes place in December, pushing back the team’s normal schedule by an additional two weeks. Scheske said because the runners are waiting to set goals, they plan to take a more relaxed approach with the first meet. 

“It’s a real race, but we’re treating it as a practice race. We’re getting reacquainted with what it’s like to race again,” Scheske said. “We’re not expecting anything crazy because we’re turning around and racing somewhat soon again.”