Student Spotlight: “Fact of Life” Q&A

Student Spotlight: “Fact of Life” Q&A

What is your podcast about, and how did you first come up with the idea to start it?

Watson: We’re talking about different political, social, and current events, all from the perspective of young, conservative, Christian women. We wanted to provide that perspective because we didn’t really hear it growing up, and so we thought it would be cool to have that outlet for people.

Noller: I think there are a lot of wonderful women out there like Candance Owens and Allie Beth Stuckey. There are a lot of great women who have awesome ideas and insights into current topics in the world today, but not many women in our age group. We were sitting in physics class one day and we were discussing how God loves us and then I said, “Mattie Grace: Do you want to start a podcast?” It was just kind of a thing on a whim but personally, I have wanted to start one for quite a while.

Which Christian women do you look up to the most?

Noller: My high school history teacher. She doesn’t have a podcast but she had an incredible view coming from a strong woman of God who was able to interpret things for men in the world through a kingdom mindset and a historical mindset as well. 

Watson: My role model was an intern at my youth group growing up. Through her, I learned how to take on my faith as my own and really know why I believe what I believe, and especially how to show that to others.

What topics are you most excited to delve into on your podcast?

Watson: I am really excited to cover the different ways that our generation is starting to make a name for itself, and how we can be an influence. It has the potential to go really wrong or really right.

Noller: We got a question from a lady I know back home–she was listening with her daughter, which was really sweet. She said it brought up good topics for them to talk about. She asked a question about how our generation is being raised. There are a lot of conservative parents that are raising this generation and they feel like they’re not doing it right and worry the kids will look back and think that they’re being brainwashed. I’m excited to help people understand why we can believe what we believe and why it’s true. I’m excited to delve into both scripture and history. We’ve pulled from the Bible and the Western Heritage reader.

Watson: I quoted the Western Heritage reader in an episode that’s coming out in a little bit. It happened naturally. We started recording and I said, “Wait, I read this today. I have to pull that in.”

Is your podcast meant for everyone, or are you hoping to cater specifically to Hillsdale or classically-minded people?

Watson: We want a broad audience. We’ve had a lot of feedback from people back home who are sharing it with their friends. Not just women, either, but everyone in general. In our first episode, we did talk about feminism specifically, but as we go further throughout the podcast, we are going to be covering different topics. We’ve had a lot of good feedback from women, from men, from all different ages. They’ve all been interested in hearing our perspective as young, conservative, Christian women.

You mentioned the Western Heritage reader: How do you hope to make those Hillsdale-specific ideas accessible to people who haven’t heard of that or aren’t familiar with it?

Watson: It came naturally. We started recording and it just started coming. We notice we keep talking about the difference between how to think and not what to think. People who aren’t associated with Hillsdale are now listening to this and learning these ideas, and realizing why we chose this school. 

Noller: It’s not like we’re doing this to have an ad for Hillsdale, but it is neat to see how things naturally played into our thought process. It’s cool to see how it does become accessible because there are some quotes that apply today–you feel like they could have been written yesterday. I understand not having time to sit down and read “the Republic,” but there are some cool things in there that people would find really interesting.

Have you had any professors yet whose ideas you might want to include, or that have inspired some of these thoughts?

Watson: Definitely my Western Heritage professor, Dr. [James] Strasburg. I think I talked about him in the first episode, and my Western Heritage reader in the second episode. He’ll say something in class and I’ll think, “I have to talk about this on the podcast.” He’s so energetic about what he’s teaching and really relates it to what we’re learning. It’s easy to take the application he’s showing and teaching us and apply it to my thought process, which is then coming out in the form of our podcast.

Noller: Dr. Birzer is my Western Heritage professor. He’s really inspiring and really connects the old concepts to modern day and our founding. 

As you’re going forward, what are your dreams for this project?

Watson: Ultimately, we want to get this perspective out there for the people that need that perspective. If the Lord wants to take that and show it to tons of people and let it grow, then so be it. If it’s only a small audience, but it’s really making an effect on that small audience, then that’s good with us.