QUICK HITS: Erik Ellis

QUICK HITS: Erik Ellis

Erik Ellis joined Hillsdale’s faculty this fall, teaching education.  Here, he talks remote islands, fencing, and compulsory Latin. This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

What is a word that you would use to describe yourself?

Quixotic. I like things that are difficult and that require a lot of study in order to fully appreciate and so anything I’m interested in, I tend to get overly interested in.

What made you want to pursue a career in higher education?

I’ve been around higher education my whole life. My parents are in higher education and I think on both sides of my family, everyone has been either clergy or an educator for about three generations. So that sort of service directed towards intellectual and spiritual matters has always been the norm for me.

What do you think you would be doing right now if you were not a professor?

I’m sure I would be doing something in education even if I was not in higher education. But, besides that, I think the two other careers that most appealed to me when I was young were being a soldier or being a monk.

Do you have any bucket list items?

I’d really like to go to Antarctica. I like islands and lonely places so I’d also really like to go to Iceland and an island in Japan called Hokkaido which is very remote and far to the north. 

If you became Monarch of the United States, what is the first law you would pass down?

Well, I’d give my inaugural dress in Latin, and I think it would make Latin a compulsory subject for all ages at all levels of education. I have a general conviction that the more people who know Latin well, the better place the world becomes. 

If you could answer any unanswered question, what question would you answer?

To be honest I don’t think I would want to answer one of those questions. I would want the mystery to remain. Otherwise, I’d be out of a job.

Do you have a favorite childhood memory?

I have a distinct memory of one morning going out and looking into the pasture that was behind our house and seeing a doe and a fawn. And the fawn was very interested in me and almost–in my memory at least–smelled my fingers as I was reaching out.

How do you unwind?

I like strenuous physical activity that is not competitive, but I also enjoy sports that are forms of ritualized combat like judo. Fencing also appeals to me although I’ve never really done it. And I also really enjoy board games.

If you were to ever hurt yourself doing something, what do you think you would be doing?

The closest I’ve gotten to serious injury was on a Jet Ski. So, it would probably be something like a Jet Ski or a motorcycle accident, because I don’t have a rational fear of death in those situations. My strategy is mostly, then, to avoid Jet Skis and motorcycles or anything like that.

What is some non-work-related topic that you could talk about for hours?

Well, almost everything that I’m interested in is in some way directed to my work. My passions are for history and philosophy and language, and it would be difficult for me to find something that isn’t somehow related to one of those. I’ve also had a long engagement in astronomy, which hasn’t been directly related to my mind work, but probably will be going forward.

What, for you, were the best and worst parts of growing up?

The best parts are the friends that I’ve made along the way. And, I think there were “worst” parts that were “worst” when they happened, but in hindsight, ended up leading me directly to something better. So, that helps me keep perspective on the bad things that are happening now.

What is a statement you try to live by?

Ora et Labora. It’s the motto of the Benedictine Order, pray and work, and I think if you do those two things, you’re doing pretty well.