Students perform ‘Lord of the Rings’ over parents weekend

Home Culture Students perform ‘Lord of the Rings’ over parents weekend

Bach and Mozart are back, but this time with Frodo. 

Multiple student ensembles, including strings, horns, and percussion, performed a diverse selection of pieces from Bach, Mozart, and “Lord of the Rings” in Christ Chapel last weekend. 

The opportunity to take part in a chamber performance is a unique one, said professor of music Melissa Knecht.

“There’s a certain kind of pride that the students feel when they do chamber music because everyone has their own part,” Knecht said. “In comparison to an orchestra concert, which is a shared unification of interpretation based on the conductor.”

Knecht said chamber performances are a great opportunity for students to make performances their own.

“These students in chamber music, they each have their own part, and they lead each other,” Knecht said. “It’s a very rewarding experience for them personally. In fact, some people don’t even know if chamber music should be played for other people because it’s just so rewarding for the musicians themselves.”

Sophomore percussionist Shannon Spahr said she enjoyed performing for an audience.

“I love that people see music as something beautiful worth sharing with others,” Spahr said. “It’s not a competition about who’s best.”

The horn ensemble performed for the first time at the chamber concert.

“We have technically been rehearsing together for the past year, but this was our first concert,” sophomore Emilie Moneyhon said. “We performed three pieces and each one showcased a different feature of the horn. My favorite was by Wagner. It had great low horn parts which are sometimes muddled in the chapel, but it sounded good from where I was.”

The chapel is a beautiful but challenging space to hold an instrumental concert because of its unique acoustics, Spahr said.

“You could play a quarter note and it would last until the end of the concert,” Moneyhon said. “However, when done right, the Chapel adds just the right amount of drama to a piece.”

The five-person percussion ensemble made use of the chapel’s acoustics.

“For our specific piece, the ring worked well and made the vibraphone sound incredible,” Spahr said. “When we hit our last note, the sound rang for about 7 seconds after. It sounds incredible, like clock gears fitting together.”

Knecht said the ensembles’ performances were excellent.

“I was very happy with all the groups, and I think they played to their potential and that’s what we’re looking for here,” Knecht said. “Hopefully, the audience felt the essence of their interpretation as well.”

The concert gave students a chance to work on the professional nature of performing according to Knecht.

“I was very happy to see the professionalism all students held because they’re so busy,” Knecht said. “All of them are in big ensembles, chamber, and private lessons, and do academics. Those are the cream of the crop.”

Spahr said she enjoyed listening to the other performances at the concert.

“We have so many talented musicians at Hillsdale,” Spahr said. “It’s quite humbling.”

Moneyhon said the faculty were instrumental in helping them prepare for this performance and future performances.

“We have incredible instructors, especially considering how small the college is,” Moneyhon said. “I love that I can be fully involved in what I love, music, without having to major in it.”

Spahr said it was particularly special to perform during parents’ weekend.

“The parents were so congratulatory. It’s nice to show the parents the fruit of all our hard work,” she said.