President’s Ball king and queen Q&A

Home Uncategorized President’s Ball king and queen Q&A
President’s Ball king and queen Q&A
Senior Natalie Kent dances with President Larry Arnn and his wife. Courtesy | SAB

Natalie Kent is a senior from Naples, Florida, studying English. 

Aidan Cyrus is a senior from Vienna, Virginia, studying philosophy. 

What are you doing after you graduate? 

NK: After graduating, I’ll be moving to Austin, Texas, marrying Hillsdale alumnus Reed Lawe, and, God-willing, working in public relations or communications!

AC: I am currently looking at a few high schools to teach theology or literature. 

How did you decide what to wear to President’s Ball?

NK: After announcing to the entire chapter of Kappa that I didn’t have a dress that would fit the occasion, a sorority sister of mine (shout out to Summer Fields), told me that she had the perfect dress, and the rest is history.

AC: I looked at my closet, saw that I had one nice suit, so I said to myself, “self, that’s gonna be the suit you’re wearing.” Took me three hours. 

What was the most challenging question you were asked during your interview for the court?

NK: Dr. Miles Smith asked how moving to Michigan from much warmer states is different with respect to individual and community development. I can’t say I had prepared for that question, but it was certainly food for thought, and a great way to reflect on the impact our environment here at Hillsdale has on our growth as students.

AC: They asked if there was anything I would change about Hillsdale or my time here, and that was a tough one. 

Can you give the inside scoop on the president’s dinner?

NK: All I’ll say is that Dr. and Mrs. Arnn are exceptional hosts and have the greatest four-legged welcoming committee any of us had ever seen.

AC: It was insane. A rave. Pat Sajak was there. They had this unreal coconut shrimp. 

Were you nervous about dancing with the Arnns in front of everyone?

NK: Without a doubt. It’s not every day you get the opportunity to do so! Thankfully the nerves didn’t stick around for long, as Dr. Arnn was a very kind and gracious dance partner.

AC: Not really, just because I’ve made a fool of myself in front of the school on a few occasions, so why not a couple more times before I graduate?

How was being on the court different from attending the dance?

NK: Being on the court was different mainly because all of us had the opportunity to attend the President’s Ball together as what felt like a big group of old friends. It was so lovely to experience the night alongside peers I’ve always looked up to and wouldn’t have otherwise had the chance to spend time with!

AC: The people on the court this year were all such fantastic people. I was more proud of being in that group of seniors than anything, really. Getting to celebrate with them will forever be a memory I cherish. 

Did you celebrate after the President’s Ball ended?

NK: You could say that! After changing out of our President’s Ball attire, a few friends enjoyed cocktails and conversation before heading home for the night.

AC: Oh, did I celebrate, and when I say celebrate, I mean celebrate. Write that down, that’s good.