Community raises more than $20K for Carrington family

Home Big Grid - Home Community raises more than $20K for Carrington family
Adam Carrington teaches politics at Hillsdale College. | Hillsdale College Website

More than 200 community members raised $20,230 for the medical expenses of Associate Professor of Politics Adam Carrington in December.

“I am overwhelmed by the generosity shown to me and to my family by those who contributed,” Carrington said. “God has worked mercifully and mightily to comfort and provide, both directly and through these dear people.”

After Carrington was diagnosed with cancer in December, Associate Professor of Classics Eric Hutchinson and his wife, Allison, organized a fundraiser on GoFundMe for treatment-related expenses.

“As they are making all of the preparations in their lives for the treatment, there are so many unknowns,” Allison Hutchinson wrote on the GoFundMe page. “One thing that we do know is that they have a large community of family and friends that might be able to join together to alleviate some of the miscellaneous financial expenses that will quickly begin to pile at their door.”

By Dec. 22, the Hutchinsons closed the donation site because the community had covered and far surpassed the initial $10,000 goal.

Eric Hutchinson said in an email he was impressed with how quickly the need was met.

“I think the real story here is not the GoFundMe thing as such, but the speedy generosity of Carrington’s colleagues and extended friends and acquaintances,” Hutchinson said. “I wish that it were not even known who set it up, but that wasn’t possible.”

Among the 204 people who donated were many Hillsdale College professors, staff, students, and alumni.

“I especially was touched by how many were affiliated with Hillsdale,” Carrington said. “These persons included many former students, who gave me so much joy when they were here, and continue to give me such joy in practicing their manifold virtues. It all shows how Hillsdale is a partnership, even a friendship where we not only learn together but take care of each other.” 

Professor of History Kenneth Calvert, one of the donors, said seeing how many colleagues responded was a “wonderful example” of what Hillsdale is about. 

“When people get sick, you always pray for their health but quite often you forget that there are other needs as well,” Calvert said. “So Eric did a great job of getting news out.”

Carrington’s wife, Emily, said she was very thankful for the Hutchinsons initiating the campaign, as the financial support was “a huge relief.”

“I am so humbled by the number of people who contributed to the campaign,” she said. “Walking through cancer with someone you love is hard and can be really lonely, but as I watched the campaign grow I was in awe seeing how many people love Adam and love our family.”