Princeton Review awards high marks to Hillsdale College

Home Big Grid - Home Princeton Review awards high marks to Hillsdale College

Hillsdale College earned high rankings in The Princeton Review’s annual release of the top 386 universities and colleges in the country. 

The review, which is based on surveys of 143,000 students across the nation, placed Hillsdale College in the top 20 of 12 subcategories related to academics and student life, according to a press release from the college. 

“It is encouraging to be included among this group of leading institutions for yet another year,” said Christopher Van Orman, Hillsdale College provost. “It is a confirmation that a true liberal arts education, one that focuses on forming successful, virtuous students and citizens, remains one of the best and most-desired educations among our nation’s young people.” 

Among the various categories, Hillsdale scored especially high in community service, religion, and conservatism. Hillsdale was

Princeton Review ranked the Hillsdale Collegian fifth in the nation.| Collegian Archives

ranked as third for Most Conservative Students and third for Most Engaged in Community Service, as well as seventh for Most Religious Students. 

Hillsdale also ranked tenth for Professors Get High Marks, twelfth for Most Politically Active Students, and fifteenth for Best-Run Colleges.

The Hillsdale Collegian was ranked as the fifth-best college newspaper for the second year in a row.

“The Collegian is an excellent newspaper and it’s great to see the hard work of our journalism students earn national recognition,” Dow Journalism Program Director said.

Former Collegian Editor-in-Chief Carmel Richardson ’21 said she was proud of the ranking, especially given that it was such an unprecedented year. 

“I’m really proud of the work that we did last year as a team and I know that especially with the pandemic and a volatile election cycle there was no shortage of interesting stories for us to write about,” Richardson said. “It was a good year, I’m really proud of the work that we did, and I think the ranking really reflects that.” 

Former news editor, Madeline Peltzer ‘21, said she was proud of the work the staff put in to achieve the fifth place ranking. 

“As news editor, I was in charge of not only the largest section of the Collegian but also of the front page. My main goal was to ensure that we were covering a wide variety of campus stories while they were fresh,” Peltzer said. “I also wanted to make A1 as visually interesting and aesthetically-pleasing as possible, so I had a lot of fun playing around with layout. I think we accomplished both of these objectives and I’m so proud of the work the news team produced last year.”