‘The Loft’ broadcasts live from union

Home News ‘The Loft’ broadcasts live from union
‘The Loft’ broadcasts live from union
Caleb Ramette, Rachel Kookogey, and Nick Treglia hosted The Loft’s first live broadcast over
Parents’ Weekend. Rachel Kookogey| Collegian

The Loft student radio show broadcast live from the Grewcock Student Union during Parents’ Weekend last Friday. The show’s three hosts —  junior Rachel Kookogey, senior Caleb Ramette, and sophomore Nick Treglia —  discussed crazy news stories, interviewed students with their parents, and hosted game shows from 12 p.m. to 12:30 p.m. 

The idea for the live broadcast came from senior Asa Hoffman, production manager of the show. He hoped it would provide a way for The Loft, and the student-run radio station, Radio Free Hillsdale, to interact with campus more. 

“People forget that we exist,” he said. “It feels like we’re disconnected from the rest of the campus.”

Rather than promote the show through the usual means, such as putting up posters and relying on word of mouth, the live union show gave The Loft a chance to promote WRFH to the student body and visit with parents in-person, according to Hoffman.

Various guests joined the show throughout the lunch period. Former radio host and senior Philip Andrews came on with his parents. They competed against each other in trivia. Other students participated in “the Florida man quiz,” in which the hosts tell three “Florida man” headlines — two true, one fake — and the guests have to guess which statement is the lie. 

Station Manager Scot Bertram was producing the show back in the studio during the broadcast.

Kookogey said she was pleased with the event. 

“We have a lot of parents and people in the community who listen to the show, so it was great to have the opportunity to share with the student body what our show is all about,” she said. 

Kookogey noted that while the event was fun, it was also challenging. 

“You have to be prepared,” she said. “Because it’s live, you don’t have the chance to edit.”

Treglia agreed.

“If jokes don’t land, you can’t take them out,” he said. “You have to know what you’re going to say and know it’s going to be good.” 

Despite the uncertain nature of the job, Kookogey, Treglia, and Ramette rose to the occasion, according to Hoffman. 

“I thought it was great,” he said. “The show did a great job carrying on its persona to a live show.” 

Despite the stress of timing and transitioning from segment to segment, the team pulled off the event with professionalism, he added.

“It was a coordinated effort and they engage really well with people,” Hoffman said.