Senior class gift reaches 36% of fundraising goal

Home News Senior class gift reaches 36% of fundraising goal
Senior class gift reaches 36% of  fundraising goal
A statue dedicated to Hillsdale’s Civil War soldiers occupies the center of Kresge Plaza.
Virginia Aabram | Collegian

Thanks to the promise of a large donation, the class of 2021 is one step closer to achieving its $25,000 goal of refurbishing the college’s Alpha Civil War Monument. 

An anonymous donor has agreed to write a $25,000 check—the full amount of the project— if 50% of the senior class donates in some capacity by July 1, according to Fiona Shea, assistant director of student and young alumni programs for the 1844  Society.

So far, 64 out of 175 seniors have donated, which is a 36% of the participation goal. 

“We already have a higher number of donations so far this year,” Shea said. “It has always been a challenge to engage the whole senior class since they come from so many different corners of campus and are involved with so many different things, but setting a participation goal rather than a monetary goal has made it much easier for students to donate.” 

The idea to restore the statue was born last fall when two students who are also veterans, juniors Isaac Hobelman and Zechariah Steiger, noticed the statue’s disrepair.  

“In the beginning, Isaac and I were going to wash the statue with soapy water and do our best to clean him up,” Steiger said. “We approached Chief Rogers about our plan to get the go ahead. From our meeting with him, it snowballed into a full-blown restoration project with the Legacy Board getting involved and taking the lead as the senior class gift.”    

Since adopting the project as the senior class gift, the Legacy Board has raised nearly $1,700 through a combination of tabling in the Student Union, social media posts, and special incentives, such as a free sweatshirt for any student who gets 10 friends to donate to the campaign through the online donation portal.  

The Legacy Board hopes to reach its participation goal in May and is looking to increase the opportunities students have to donate. 

“On March 30, we are hosting a cocktail hour in the Heritage Room from 7- 9 p.m.,” Liana Guidone, senior class social chairman, said in an email. “Seniors who donate to the project as well as eligible (21+) members of the 1844 Society will receive a free drink ticket at the event.”

According to Guidone, there will also be a new way to donate starting this week: Venmo. The account handle will be accessible through the Class of 2021 Hillsdale Instagram page. 

Guidone encouraged seniors who have yet to donate to do so soon. 

“Leaving a legacy at Hillsdale College through participation in this class project shows a recognition of the blessings, opportunities, and education we have received at the college,” Guidone said. “It gives respect and honor to the veterans who have served valiantly for our country, specifically those who are Hillsdale students and alumni.”

Steiger said it’s more important to contribute to the class gift than ever before. 

“The restoration of the soldier will help send a strong message, when statues across the country are being torn down, that here at Hillsdale we remember our nation’s greatest triumph over it’s greatest sin, and the sacrifice of prior generations will not be forgotten,” Steiger said.

Students who wish to donate to the 2021 Senior Class Gift can visit https://www.givecampus.com/schools/HillsdaleCollege/2021-senior-class-gift. Donations will be accepted until July 1.