The power of the pants

Home Opinion The power of the pants
The power of the pants
A pair of red jeans. | Pixnio

As the bright, vibrant colors of fall fade into the bleak grays of a Michigan winter, everyone will soon find themselves needing more color in their lives. That’s why everyone needs a staple pair of colorful jeans. 

Now you might assume that vibrant orange denim is something that should only be worn by 16-year-olds on TikTok, but your serotonin levels beg to differ. 

Once winter actually comes, Hillsdale College’s campus will be surrounded by white snow and bare trees, with the yellow bricks of Lane Hall and Kendall Hall being the only color that students experience on a daily basis. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine’s Institute of Health, you will most likely find yourself slipping into the infamous “winter blues” as your body overproduces melatonin due to a lack of vitamin D.

In order to prevent seasonal depression, you need to find simple, easy ways to give yourself more energy and more dopamine. The easiest way to do this? Colorful jeans. 

Not only will you find yourself daydreaming of ways to incorporate your cherry-red denim into your business casual attire, you will also need to boost your energy levels to match your power pants. Wearing colorful jeans prevents you from being in a bad mood or existing in lethargy, because every time your eyes catch a glimpse of the vibrant color on your legs, you receive a little boost of confidence and energy. 

Seasonal depression also wages war on the serotonin levels of those who experience it. And what gives you little boosts of joy and affirmation more than compliments? When you wear vivacious denim, you will finish your day glowing from all of the admiration you received from your friends, bosses, professors, and strangers. 

But why would people bother complimenting this potentially obnoxious article of clothing? People who see a pop of color at 9 a.m. on their dreary Tuesday morning will be drawn to the energy radiating from your jeans. Every little bit of joy that you gain from seeing these bright colors is gained by everyone who sees you as well. 

Now, there are a few potential drawbacks to the effects that these dynamic pants give you. You will have to prevent yourself from breaking out into little dances in the middle of the student union because of your unexpected dopamine increase. You may also find yourself with sore cheeks from all the smiles you will inevitably have to give others when you receive a flood of compliments from your colleagues. And you may have to find ways to quell your new obsession with purchasing brilliant pants. 

But those are all worth it, right?

In short, when you find yourself inevitably slipping into a sluggish state due to the colorless view you’re experiencing outside of your window, save yourself by buying a pair of colored denim jeans.

Megan Williams is a sophomore studying rhetoric and public address.