‘Typical Hillsdale’: CCA in the age of COVID-19

Home News ‘Typical Hillsdale’: CCA in the age of COVID-19

It seems COVID-19 has left nothing untouched — not even Hillsdale’s Center for Constructive Alternatives conference. Unlike homecoming, which was canceled, the first CCA of the school year went on as planned, but it featured some of its own “constructive alternatives,” such as limited attendance, special seating, and grab-and-go meals.

Titled “American Foreign Policy,” the CCA took place Sept. 20-23 and covered topics ranging from “China as an election issue” to “The United States and the Middle East.”

Matt Bell, director of the CCA, said in an email that his team took precautions by reducing attendance in Plaster Auditorium to half capacity. 

Bell’s team reserved the dining room and the balcony for guests to watch lectures on, allowing students to social distance on the main floor of Plaster Auditorium.

Separating students and guests had some unintended consequences, according to sophomore Alecca Hofmeister, who attended the CCA.

“Visitors are in the balcony, and students are on the main floor, so they’re kept isolated from each other,” Hofmeister said. “Guests aren’t coming up to the microphone and asking questions because that’s on the ground floor.”

Hofmeister said she expected more input from the audience, which she said could have been easier without as many            restrictions.

“I’ve never done a CCA before, but it would’ve been interesting to hear more donors ask questions,” Hofmeister said. “If they had been on the ground floor, or if microphones were in the balcony, it probably would’ve been easier for them to ask questions.”

Despite these changes, Hillsdale was able to maintain a high level of professionalism and efficiency, some guests said.

Bob Hozian, who has attended CCAs for more than 10 years, said he was very impressed with the way Hillsdale handled the event. 

“My assessment of Hillsdale is that they always put on quality programs, so I knew they would do everything right in terms of precautions,” Hozian said. “The content of the CCA is the same — it’s the logistics that have changed.” 

According to Hozian, the biggest changes were visible in the seating and dining arrangements. 

“A good number of people sat in the Searle Center and watched the talk on screen,” he said. “You used to be served by caterers, but this time it’s buffet-style. All the hors d’oeuvres are in little plastic containers.” 

Hozian said the student workers who replaced the catering company did a great job handling guests’ orders and dietary restrictions. 

“It was typical Hillsdale in terms of efficiency,” Hozian said. “The changes have had minor, if any, impact on the CCA.”