Quartermania will raise money for Heritage Association’s Mural Project

Home City News Quartermania will raise money for Heritage Association’s Mural Project
A sketch of the “Welcome to Historic Hillsdale” mural, coming in September 2020. The mural is a project of the Heritage Association of Hillsdale, Michigan. Courtesy | Connie Sexton

The Heritage Association of Hillsdale is holding a fundraiser event called “Quartermania” on March 21 to raise money for its 2020 “Welcome to Historic Hillsdale” Mural Project. The 100 available tickets are on sale now for $10 at 55 N. Broad St. 

The Heritage Association will be auctioning off more than 85 items, including $500 chandeliers, Fitbits, Echo Dots, designer purses, artwork, and more.  

“I am most excited about the evening because it brings the community together for a great evening of fun,” Connie Sexton, the executive director of The Heritage Association, said. “We not only raise money for a great cause but we give back by offering top-notch quality items to be won. With only a 100-person seating capacity and over 85 auction items and some giveaways, everyone should go home a winner.”

The Heritage Association of Hillsdale began several years ago when Heather Tritchka, the co-founder, headed up the project for the Winona statue that now stands in Mrs. Stock’s Park. The community responded positively and loved the idea of bringing more artwork to Hillsdale, which then spurred the Heritage Association to form and keep working on projects. 

Tritchka said that people throughout Hillsdale have volunteered to help with the projects, which keeps the cost down and makes them possible. 

“Everyone just jumps in and wants to help,” Tritchka said.  

The idea for the “Welcome to Historic Hillsdale” mural came from Richard Moore of Moore Insurance when he asked The Heritage Association if it would be interested in doing a mural on the side of his building that is visible above Hillsdale Jewelers. 

The Heritage Association was happy to do it and contacted John Castellese, a local artist, to design the mural. The association then contacted Wes Hardin, a renowned muralist who painted the train mural on Manning Street and asked him to make the mural. 

“He was very excited to come back and work in Hillsdale again,” Tritchka said. 

The mural will cost about $17,000. Hardin is projected to start painting Sept. 8, 2020, according to Tritchka. Depending on the weather, Sexton said, the mural should take about one week to paint. The mural will also have lights on it to make it visible at night.