The Weekly: More parking, please

Home Opinion The Weekly: More parking, please
The Weekly: More parking, please

Hillsdale College needs to add more parking spaces for its students. 

During the Sept.3 Hillsdale City Council Meeting, Police Chief Schott Hephner proposed a no-parking zone on Hillsdale Street between Galloway/Berber Drive and College street. The council voted unanimously to approve the request. The area was deemed unsafe for students crossing the street at non-crosswalks because there have been a number of near misses. 

And for good reason. Jaywalking students approach the road from in between these parked vehicles, putting both themselves and rivers in danger. 

Many Hillsdale College students park along this block to attend classes and extracurriculars, and go to meals. With the new no-parking zone, students are limited to street parking on Manning Street, south of campus. 

Although the weather is currently  mild, it won’t be long until the temperature drops and snow begins to fall. As Michigan begins to cool down, students will feel the need to drive to campus once again.

As of right now, students still have the option to park in three lots: the lot across from the Galloway Residence, the Searle Center lot, and the overflow lot at College Baptist Church. 

Because the college gives all of its students the opportunity to bring their cars to campus, including freshman, it needs to provide students with more parking availability.

With the reduced street parking, however, students can also make change. Students should consider walking more to class and other activities. The weather is still tolerable, and the campus is small enough that students should not feel the need to drive everywhere. Students can also try carpooling with their roomates or other friends. 

In response to the new no parking zone, Hillsdale College’s administration should add more parking lots in available space for students.