Kalthoff receives Daugherty Award at spring convocation

Home Big Grid - Home Kalthoff receives Daugherty Award at spring convocation
Graphic by Anne Buzzell

Editor’s Note: This article has been updated to reflect more accurate information. A previous version said Kappa Kappa Gamma won the sorority scholarship cup. 

Professor and Chairman of History Mark Kalthoff received the Daugherty Award for Teaching Excellence for the fall semester of 2018 at convocation on Thursday.

“Mark Kalthoff exemplifies the kind of steady, wise teaching that we prize at the college,” Dean of Faculty and Associate Professor of Education Daniel Coupland said in an email. “The hundreds of Hillsdale students who have sat in his classes over the years have been shaped by his deep understanding of his particular field and of liberal education in general.”

Dean of Women Diane Philipp said the criteria for the Daugherty includes dedication to one’s profession and craft, sensitivity to students’ learning, and a demand for excellence.

Student GPAs from fall 2018 were announced at convocation as well. The all-school GPA was 3.320, while the average women’s GPA was 3.477, and the average men’s GPA was 3.262. For the Greek scholarship cups, Pi Beta Phi had the highest sorority GPA at 3.523, while Sigma Chi won the fraternity prize with an average GPA of 3.257. Eleven seniors qualified for the top 10 of the Class of 2019, with two tying for 10th place: In alphabetical order, they were Nicole Ault, Catherine Bodnar, Marina Bostelman, Kathryn DuHadway, Ellen Friesen, Hope Jonker, Rebecca Kaiser, Daniel Maisonville, Samuel Roberts, Jessica Skoudis, and Gill West.