Some tips for jobs and internships

Home Study Break Some tips for jobs and internships
Some tips for jobs and internships
Career Services can help students in their search for a job or internship. (Creative Commons)

You may not know it, but internship application season is upon us. Companies are starting to take a look into who they will accept for the summer. Here are a few tips for getting yourself out in front of recruiters and in position for that job or internship you’ve been eyeing.

Student Affairs Mentors (SAMs) deal with the application process often, both in their own experience and helping with others’ efforts.

“One tip: start now,” sophomore SAM Sam Swayze said. “Companies’ hiring seasons don’t happen when you think about it in February.”

Starting can mean more than just filling out a resume. According to Swayze, becoming familiar with your company of interest and reaching out to people in the organization can be an invaluable step.

“Try to get one person to contact inside the company before you send in your resume,” Swayze said. “This personal connection will help your resume from getting lost in the black hole of internet applications.”

Networking is the most important thing someone searching for a job or internship can do, said sophomore SAM Tess Ens. She says the one thing you don’t want to do is go into an application blind. The best way to avoid this is by using Handshake, a recruiting platform designed specifically for colleges.

“LinkedIn, Indeed, and other sites are good, but they aren’t actively recruiting Hillsdale students,” Ens said. “Because companies have to apply to get into Handshake, Career Services has the contact information for recruiters at these companies, and they want Hillsdale students.”

Sophomore SAM Dennis Fassett also stressed the importance of networking in the search for a job or summer internship.

“Introductions are important, and this is the value of Career Services,” he said. “After the introduction, it’s your turn to follow up and let the connection develop.”

While it’s now in your hands to make this thing happen, Ens said the help of SAMs doesn’t necessarily go away.

“Stop by Career Services even for help drafting the first email, perfecting your resume, and interview tips for when the time comes,” she said.

Until that time comes, get started and get searching.