Faculty duo performs piano and percussion

Home Arts Faculty duo performs piano and percussion
Brad Blackham and Stacey Jones-Garrison practice.
Allison Schuster | Collegian

As campus says hello to autumn, faculty duo ReadyGO will reminisce on summer with a performance featuring “Makrokosmos III: Music for a Summer Evening” by avant-garde composer George Crumb.

ReadyGO — comprised of teachers of music Stacey Jones-Garrison on percussion and Brad Blackham on piano — will be performing at 8 p.m. on Saturday in McNamara Rehearsal Hall.

After performing together, the duo will be joined by Katherine Rick, adjunct instructor of music and staff accompanist at the college, and percussionist Mark Douglass, the director of bands at Spring Arbor University.

The quartet will play George Crumb’s complex piece, lasting some 45 minutes and consisting of five movements.

“I think this piece is representative of a legitimate part of music history from 20th century that not many people have been exposed to,” Rick said. “It will stretch people’s horizons and allow them to experience classical music in a different way.”

Blackham said the unique combination of instruments will interest even non-music students.

“It’s a piece that doesn’t get performed much. Not only is it two pianos and a lot of different percussion instruments, but also, everything is amplified because there is a sound system involved,” Blackham said. “It’s not something you get to hear everyday.”