Beier here to challenge students, discuss ideas

Home Campus Beier here to challenge students, discuss ideas
dsc_2537
Photo: New Assistant Professor of Education Benjamin Beier teaches a lecture for his Classical Logic and Rhetoric class in Kendall Hall. (Hannah Kwapisz/Collegian)

More than 30 minutes after class ended on a Friday afternoon, the new education professor is still discussing a topic from class with two of his students in Kendall Hall.

But Assistant Professor of Education Benjamin Beier, who is replacing retired Professor of Education Jon Fennell, said that is why he came to Hillsdale College. He said he knew Hillsdale’s students are people with whom he can discuss challenging and meaningful subjects.

“It’s a job where I could teach really motivated students the things I believe are fundamentally important,” Beier said.

Freshman Avery Helms is taking one of Beier’s two sections of Classical Logic and Rhetoric, a new required course in the core curriculum. He said the class moves at a fast pace and has plenty of reading homework.

“He’s very knowledgeable on the subject, but he’s willing to debate a point in order to teach the class,” Helms said. “This is definitely the hardest course I’ve taken.”

Beier said he knows the class is difficult and wants to use various ways of explaining the concepts.

“My hope is students feel comfortable asking me questions,” Beier said.

Associate Professor of Education Daniel Coupland said he is excited to have Beier at Hillsdale.

“He is a gifted teacher, a thorough scholar, and a kindhearted human being,” Coupland said. “He provides for our department a wealth of experience as a student of classical rhetoric.”

Beier has a long history with classical education, attending a classically oriented school from kindergarten through 12th grade, which he said “made an impression” on him. He completed his undergraduate education in his home state at the University of Kansas, noting its the alma mater of Provost David Whalen. His life-long interest in reading led him to major in English and history.

A devout Catholic, Beier then studied at a seminary before dropping out to work for the Kansas state government. After, he pursued more advanced degrees at the universities of Kansas, Dallas, and Wisconsin. For the past three years, Beier taught at Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas, before accepting a position at Hillsdale.

Beier, however, is not without his quirks. Despite coming from the South, Beier said he looks forward to a much more “active” winter in Michigan. He also said his wife makes fun of him for his soft H, saying “yuman” instead of “human.”

“In the dictionary, it is an acceptable pronunciation,” he said.

When not in the classroom, Beier stays busy with his three young children. He also said he enjoys traveling, practicing calligraphy, and playing and watching various sports.

“Dr. Beier is a devoted husband and a loving father to three beautiful children,” Coupland said, adding, “Nobody is perfect. Dr. Beier and his family are dedicated fans of the Kansas City Royals.”

Despite Coupland’s attempts to convince him to become a Detroit Tigers fan, Beier said he is thrilled to be at Hillsdale.

“It’s a place where students and faculty seek wisdom,” he said.