Rep. Blackburn encourages young women at CPAC

Home News Rep. Blackburn encourages young women at CPAC

Marsha Blackburn

National Harbor, MD — Republican Rep. Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee shared advice to young women interested in politics Friday at a Conservative Political Action Conference event meant to honor her for her conservative accomplishments.

“As a woman, you get the opportunity to break glass ceilings,” Blackburn said. “You get to open doors for others.”

The Clare Boothe Luce Policy Institute honored Blackburn as its Woman of the Year at a luncheon for high school and college women at the conference. Blackburn spoke about her experience of overcoming challenges she has faced in her career.

“Sometimes the biggest thing to realize is you are an equal – not a subordinate,” Blackburn said.

In 2002, Blackburn became the first woman from Tennessee to represent the state in Congress.

She encouraged the women to use their skills in leadership, to do everything well, to be bold, to not focus on small problems, and to stand firm in their beliefs.

“We are conservatives, and we are here to save the country,” Blackburn said. “People are drawn to leaders because they are relatable. Liberals that don’t have ideas are always going to attack us personally, but we have ideas. We will win.”

Students said Blackburn’s words encouraged them.

“She didn’t say you had be forceful and powerful and use strength,” Hillsdale College freshman Kaitlin Makuski said. “You can use your natural abilities to respect and care to be a leader.”

Hillsdale freshman Kayla Mykeloff – who used to live in Nashville, Tennessee – called Blackburn an inspiration.

“She’s very powerful and very determined,” Mykeloff said. “You need to stand for what you believe and not let people shut you down because you’re a woman.”

Blackburn told the Collegian Thursday conservative women need to get involved in their communities.

“To young, conservative females, I would say, ‘Get busy building a good resume and prepare to put it to work in public service,’” Blackburn said.