The 1844 society is a worthy cause

Home Opinion The 1844 society is a worthy cause

This past Monday evening, juniors and seniors made their way to the Searle Center for free drinks, dinner, and a pitch from the 1844 Society on why they, recent graduates, should part with their money for the sake of their alma mater.

Some attended the dinner, if only for free drinks and dinner. But they stayed, ate, and perhaps changed their mind about the society’s goal.

As alumni, our continued relationship with Hillsdale will be a continued relationship with the people. The school colors, the Charger cheer, and images of Central Hall mean something to us because of the dear friends we made during our time here.

As our alma mater — literally, “nourishing mother” — Hillsdale has both nurtured and educated us. And as it might with a mother, our relationship with Hillsdale endures past the point of independence. We owe Hillsdale for our formation. Many of our most influential friendships are forged here. Our first earnest, weighty academic engagement occurs here.

Gratitude is proper to us as students, but it is less obvious how it ought to be expressed as alumni. We have formed attachments to professors, to places, and to our friends. It is hard for us to know how to turn those attachments into a legacy or to benefit future students, but a donation makes it possible both to express gratitude and allow others to become part of the community.
Alumni support for the college helps make it possible for others to come and be nourished. The privilege of education is bookended by the work of others, our predecessors and posterity.
The 1844 Society is one way to engage alumni and encourage them to express that gratitude in a way that will benefit the college which has benefited us so greatly.