“Expectations high” for indoor season

Home Sports “Expectations high” for indoor season
“Expectations high” for indoor season

11949357_10200853828505493_5863919319602001302_n(1)

After strong finishes by the Hillsdale men and women’s cross-country teams just a few weeks ago, the Chargers’ indoor track season kicks off on Dec. 4 with the annual Oiler Opener in Findlay, Ohio.
Last year, Hillsdale was well represented at the NCAA Division II national meets—especially during the indoor season. The Chargers boasted 10 All-Americans with four national champions. On the men’s team, sophomore Jared Schipper placed in the pole vault and sophomore Lane White in the open 400 meter.
The women sent two relay teams: the distance medley relay and the 4×400 meter relay.  The DMR — consisting of current seniors Emily Oren, Corinne Zehner, Kate Royer, and graduated Amy Kerst — won the national title. The 4×400 — run by Zehner, sophomore Fiona Shea, junior Allison Duber, and senior Emily Guy — placed fifth, claiming a spot on the All-American podium.
Individually for the women, Oren was crowned national champion in the 3000 meter, and Galat placed in the 3000 and 5000 meter.
The women’s team only graduated Amy Kerst from this lineup. Accomplishing high honors with a young squad shows the Hillsdale College Indoor Track and Field team is ready to do big things this season. According to the USTCCCA, the women already rank third in Division II coming out of preseason.
Head coach Andrew Towne is enthusiastic about the upcoming indoor season. The women already stand in a good spot and the men have improved, he said.
“This is the most talented that we’ve been—but also the most focused,” Towne said.
This combination is certainly dangerous to the competition. Appropriately, the team’s motto for the year is “relentless.” The team was successful last year but are even more confident and prepared going into this season with high expectations.
Towne said the freshman class, though small, is extremely talented and has embraced the culture of the program. Between those returning at a high level and the able newcomers, it has been an intense fall for every athlete in every event.
“The biggest difference this preseason is we’ve created a culture of competition—a symptom of the culture that was in place all along and now we have enough talent to where that can play out,” Towne said. “The team understands what it needs to do to progress.”
Every track athlete can confirm an overall increase in intensity and focus is evident this year.
“I think this indoor season is going to be the best we’ve had so far because we are only getting better as the program evolves, and right now we are working really hard in practice. Everyone is giving it their all,” junior legacy captain Ty Etchemendy said.
Zenher, women’s team captain, echoed similar sentiments.
“We are each other’s best competition,” Zehner said. “I see everyone competing at practice and it being my last year I try to make the most of each day.”
With such intensity in practice, Towne predicts that meets become easier and more comfortable.
The throwers have also experienced an increase in energy.
“I’m excited to see what the throwers will do this year,” junior captain Dana Newell said. “I have been able to see the progress all the throwers have made just in practice, and I can see how hard everyone is working everyday.  It looks like it will be a really good year.”
The Chargers are focused, prepared, and ready to put their hard work into action.
“We have set our expectations higher going into this year,” Zehner said.